Shimano Brakes

mattrgee
mattrgee Posts: 157
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My Genesis Core 30 has Shimano BL M505 levers and BR M445 callipers. Having small hands means I have to adjust the levers so I can reach them. However, by doing so means the levers are almost touching the grips when full pressure is applied. Is there anyway to make them 'bite' a bit earlier?

Thanks.

Comments

• try getting them bled
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Take the wheel out and pump the lever a little until the pads are slightly closer together then re-fit the wheel and see if it works. Might take a few attempts to get right but works on all my brakes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cervelofan wrote:
    try getting them bled
    not great advice mate
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Peter's method makes sense. Bleeding doesn't
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413 wrote:
    Take the wheel out and pump the lever a little until the pads are slightly closer together then re-fit the wheel and see if it works. Might take a few attempts to get right but works on all my brakes.

this is the best advice to try first. Also as correctly said, it may take a few pumps on shimano brakes due to the servo wave stopping the pads clamping together easily
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But they might need bleeding! Obviously try the other first.
  • mattrgee
    mattrgee Posts: 157
    peter413 wrote:

Thanks, I'll give that a go.
  • funnily anough i was going to post a similer post for the new shimano XT M785 brakes, i was having trouble bleeding them correctly and geting all the air out as i had the ststem fully drained and dry.

I found this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2c6ezHY ... re=related

but my lever still only realy engage half way through pull so lever pulls to bar, had to screw the lever further away to help this issue.

brakes are bled propperly but levers still pull too far, they were never great in the first place, new brakes too
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I have some M445s - great entry level brakes IMO. Do what Peter suggested - should work. Bleeding is an absolute last resort, is a pain, and is likely to give you no improvement in many cases.