New phone time

toby_winkler
toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
edited February 2012 in The hub
Upgrade time on my contract, so time to get rid of the awful Blackberry.

Two phones in mind at the moment, HTC Senation XE or Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Quite liking the look of the HTC, heard the headphones that come with it are pretty decent but also heard that the battery life is god awful, which is a bit off putting. The Samsung is slightly more expensive, but is running the latest version of android as far as I'm aware.

Anybody own/know anyone that owns either of these phones? Or can think of any other phones in and around the same price?

And before anyone says it, I don't want to have to pay £100 and £40+ a month for an iPhone.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i got my iphone 4 for free and £30 a month :wink:
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    welshkev wrote:

Is that with 3 mobile?
  • welshkev wrote:

Would have to get an iPhone 4s now though wouldn't I, couldn't be seen with that old dinosaur of a phone could I ;)
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    go with the samsung....
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'm going for the Sensation XE, like the look of the Nexus but there is no memory card slot so that ruled it our for me.

Oh and HTC are releasing a new OS update for the XE in March.
  • kenan wrote:
    I'm going for the Sensation XE, like the look of the Nexus but there is no memory card slot so that ruled it our for me.

Its still got 32gb storage, which is plenty for me. I'm edging towards the Nexus now, mainly because of the battery life of the Sensation. I'm going to pop into carphonewarehouse in a bit and have a look round.
  • use buymobilephones.net

Where I got mine from and they have some pretty good deals!

iPhone 4s for £35 a month and no upfront cost.

Not a bad tariff either.

http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-p ... 00-(24mths)/12784418
  • use buymobilephones.net

Where I got mine from and they have some pretty good deals!

iPhone 4s for £35 a month and no upfront cost.

Not a bad tariff either.

http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-p ... 00-(24mths)/12784418

The thing is, I'm getting it as an upgrade, my actual contract doesn't end for another 3 months! So if I wanted to start a new contract with a different network, I would have to wait 3 months, and I'm a bit impatient.

That is a rather nice deal though! I vowed never to go with 3 again after I had some problems with them before, but they seem to be cranking out some good deals at the moment.
  • bloody hell its only 3 months!

Wait till your contract is up and that deal will be £30!

I've never 'upgraded'. there are always better deals than the upgrades.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    kenan wrote:

Its still got 32gb storage, which is plenty for me. I'm edging towards the Nexus now, mainly because of the battery life of the Sensation. I'm going to pop into carphonewarehouse in a bit and have a look round.

I thought the Nexus is 16GB? Nice screen mind
  • kenan wrote:
    kenan wrote:

I thought the Nexus is 16GB? Nice screen mind

My bad it is 16gb, when I looked on the website earlier it said 32gb? strange.

Gone for the Nexus anyway, picking it up on Tuesday :D
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Rigga wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Is that with 3 mobile?

no, with vodafone mate
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've never 'upgraded'. there are always better deals than the upgrades.
    Always used to have that opinion based on experience, but recently I just checked Orange upgrade for a laugh.

Samsung Galaxy S2 - £10 for you. Keep your contract. :shock:

(my contract was £10 a month, old contract, long since past its minimum so just a monthly rolling really).

Well weird. Quirk in their system or their loyalty bonus really kicking in for once I don't know. Usually when I check they ask for £200+ for the phone or a steep contract and I just laugh. Hence I've been buying SIM free for years as it's cheaper in the long run.

Though my old contract sucked for data. New one, £15.50 a month 250mb data, unlimited texts and email. Low minutes but I rarely call people. I mean it's a phone, why would I want to call people with it? !!! :D.

They even gave me my loyalty discount on it too. So £13 a month, £10 for the phone. Okay 24 month contract though think I slipped as sure it offered 12 month for the same deal I just didn't hit the right button.

Anyway, on the original point - Samsung would be my choice. Nicely built, powerful. Their customisations of the droid are pretty good and haven't found they get in the way or bloat the thing (not with the SGS2 at least, even with Orange's stuff on top), although this one is a Google brand phone I think so may be raw Google.

It's also Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box (Android 4.0).

Also if you want GPS tracking, the Nexus has a barometer which makes for more accurate altitude as GPS is poor at this. Not sure if the HTC has gone one. Few do.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I know it's not in your list, but if you use your phone outdoors the Motorol Defy should be a consideration - waterproof a short way, shock proof a short fall, scratch proof to blunt instruments. Just a bit more robust than anyother smartphone without going down the route of those odd looking rubber things. Very happy with mine. Took some underwater video of nibblyfish eating my toes in Thailand with it. Does all my GPS work in crappy weather.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    deadkenny wrote:
    [Usually when I check they ask for £200+ for the phone or a steep contract and I just laugh.
    When I last upgraded I got the same story - I was paying £25/month with Orange for a nokia 5800 and they wanted £200 to upgrade to the Galaxy. I had to go through the whole pantomime, even the "I'll check with my manager" twice, before we landed on free and £20 per month.
    My tactic? Just keep saying, over and over, "OK then I'll just wait till the contract's up". You don't need a PhD in haggling to get a reasonable deal.
    That was nearly two years ago so we'll see how we get on in a few months' time with the next upgrade. Nexus or Galaxy Note top of my list at the mo as I tend to use the phone much more for personal organiser, email, maps & GPS, apps including remote desktop stuff - making a big screen my main priority.
  • Well i picked up the Nexus this morning, and so far i am very impressed. Everything loads incredibly quick, the browser is fantastic! It is quite large, nothing compared to the note though, but luckily i have large hands so its fine. Android 4.0 seems very good so far, will have to report back on things such as battery life etc... But for now i am very happy with my choice.