Road 1 Me 0

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Had an unfortunate off on the way home last night :(

Slight downhill to a left turn at set of lights on a busy junction at 1730, and front end just slid away :!:

Took some skin off left knee and a sore wrist are the only injuries, so lucky escape. First thing I did was check for traffic as worried a car might hit me. Picked myself up and dusted down. Quick check of me and bike before limping home :|

Couple of scrape marks on the bike, and holed my Aldi cycling trousers, which is annoying as they have been great. Night vision jacket held up and not a mark on it, so impressed with this.

Be careful out there :!: It's still slippery :!:

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Sounds almost exactly like my "off" last week, only mine was black ice. Left turn, off camber, downhill. Bloody knee, holes in my tights, bruised heel of my palm. Bent the clip on my Brompton; no sign of scuffing on my Altura Night Vision jacket.

We're crash twins!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    We're crash twins!
    :lol:

My mrs called me a crash test dummy :wink:
  • did it yesterday too - greasy road and pushing too hard - snapped the rear gear cable, scraped right knee canny bad (but rode in shorts for the first time this year so didnt rip any tights!) , grazed chin and bizarrely my wrist/thumb bit of hands are really sore and swollen :?:
  • It happens to us all - even at low speed and trying to take the bend straight http://youtu.be/hIBNuI5c114?hd=1

I ouched.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    The roads are the same here.

I think it's all the crap that accumulated while they were frozen coating the tarmac, that hasn't been washed away by some proper rain yet. I had a few moments yesterday where the bike squirmed and skipped to the side under me in slow corners, culminating in having to dab my inside foot on a 90 degree right hander as the front tyre washed out.

It's more than a little disconcerting. Fortunately it is pissing it down today so hopefully the conditions will be better come monday.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    essjaydee wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    We're crash twins!
    :lol:

My mrs called me a crash test dummy :wink:

A former housemate used to be a crash test engineer (crashing brand new cars to for Euro NCAP ratings) and one day he borrowed my calculator for some reason. He accidentally left my calc on the seat of a car he crashed and after the test my calc (Sharp EL531) was checked over and came out unscathed apart from a scratch on the case. To cover the scratch and to comemorate it's ordeal he stuck a crash test target on it.
    S_Crash_Test.jpg

Hope the OP and (more importantly) his bike, is OK.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!