Norwich 50/100

The Man Chump
The Man Chump Posts: 81
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I've just got my pack through for the Norwich 50 (Sorry first event, I'll try the 100 next year)

Anyone else doing it?

Comments

• DylanM
    DylanM Posts: 26
    Well I've just started cycling and was considering this as something to use as a goal to work to. Currently hitting the turbo trainer four days a week and will venture out on the road once the weather picks up.
    So yes, I'm going to do the Norwich 50.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Hi,

Might go for the 50 or the 100.
  • Apart from the fact it is the most local one, This looks nice and flatish, i'm aiming for 3 hours for the 50.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Both courses are pretty flat, the 100 only having about 2500ft of climbing concentrated on the north coastal part. The 50 is very quick with only a few lumps near Melton Constable. Have a go at either, good fun event with plenty of casual/beginner riders to keep things interesting. I managed 5h 30m on the hundred last year on my single speed so it shows you how easy the course is.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I did the 100, too, last year... Was an excellent day and a very enjoyable ride, with plenty of friendly competition to keep the pace up, if you like...
    I may do it again this year... Have to find the date.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • 29th of May I think.
  • Hi do you have the contact details for the organizer as fancy doing this one as it local to me
  • £19.50! daylight robbery
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • I hope you get a good medal for that, do you get a medal?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Got a certificate last year...

What's wrong with £19.50?... It's a charity event, not a sportive...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • I'll settle for the cirtificate. (would have prefered a medal though
  • hopper1 wrote:
    Got a certificate last year...

What's wrong with £19.50?... It's a charity event, not a sportive...

Fair enough if its for charity I didnt read that far into it, I just assumed it was another one of those silly sportives everyones into
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • It starts and finishes near the cathedral, it's very easy to drop into the large group just off the start and ride with them.
    You don't have to pay £19.50 if you choose not to.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Are you suggested that people should buck the entry fee and just "tag along" on the ride, a CHARITY ride no less?
  • Not suggesting dodging the fee as such, merely pointing out that it's an option if you're struggling with the £19.50 cost.
    They are after all open public roads so no offence would take place.
    I am aware that some people have previously chosen to do this to avoid the unusual and mandatory 20minute health and safety stop at sheringham on route.
    If your conscious is troubling you bung a tenner or whatever you like in a collecting tin in the start village.
    Clearly using feed stops without having paid for them is bad form in my book but some people wouldn't struggle to sleep at night is they'd had a banana that would have properly otherwise ended up in the bin.
    Let your conscious decide!!!
  • From what I can see the £19.50 goes into the organisers pockets, not the British Heart Foundation or any other charity

"THIS IS A SPONSORED CHARITY RIDE. Your entry fee only covers the costs of running the ride so please ask family and friends to sponsor you generously to make a real difference. THANK YOU."

No fear of free refreshments either

"You’re welcome to fill water bottles and use the facilities free of charge, but please note that other items must be paid for."
  • markos1963
    From what I can see the £19.50 goes into the organisers pockets, not the British Heart Foundation or any other charity

"THIS IS A SPONSORED CHARITY RIDE. Your entry fee only covers the costs of running the ride so please ask family and friends to sponsor you generously to make a real difference. THANK YOU."

No fear of free refreshments either

"You’re welcome to fill water bottles and use the facilities free of charge, but please note that other items must be paid for."

If it was anywhere else I wouldn't bother but as it's local and a bit of fun I do enter. The next nearest ride I do, Suffolk Sunrise100 is far better. £25 buys you food, timing chips, better signage and a more rural route.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    I am aware that some people have previously chosen to do this to avoid the unusual and mandatory 20minute health and safety stop at sheringham on route.

Is the stop mandatory now?? I have done this event 3 times (last time was about 3 years ago) and there was never anyone at the "stop" so we always carried on. If you have to stop now it would put me off.
  • markos1963
    Richj wrote:

Is the stop mandatory now?? I have done this event 3 times (last time was about 3 years ago) and there was never anyone at the "stop" so we always carried on. If you have to stop now it would put me off.

There is a table with a couple of people struggling to cope with hundreds of cyclists trying to all check in together but no one bothers to check your ticket, just ride through and carry on as we do. We prefer to stop a bit further on where it's quieter and it brings business to our usual club cafe.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Here's an alternative:

http://www.lotuscycleracing.org/boudicca-sportive/

Norfolk sportive. Entrance fee pays the charities, food etc. Part of the profit goes to local cycling organisations and clubs.
  • DylanM
    DylanM Posts: 26
    g00se wrote:
    Here's an alternative:

Norfolk sportive. Entrance fee pays the charities, food etc. Part of the profit goes to local cycling organisations and clubs.
    Looks like a really good event. Good price and nice website!
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    g00se wrote:
    Here's an alternative:

Is picture 8 Gt Massingham village pond? I remember my brother taking me fishing there nearly 30 years ago...

It's a lovely route, shame I'm away on holiday that weekend... :(
  • g00se wrote:
    Here's an alternative:

I was mulling over the idea of the Suffolk Sunrise in prep for the Dunwich Dynamo but I like the look of this too. I think I will do both.
    Thanks for posting it.