Ridgeback MX16 lower gear ratio needed

matt@theforce
matt@theforce Posts: 647
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
We bought my son a Ridgeback MX16 for xmas and he loves riding it however when the TPT becomes muddy & with the hills around home he does struggle to ride it with it having such a high gear.

It currently has a 36t chainset & 16t single free wheel (Full specs http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/mx16-blue)

Is it going to be easier finding a smaller front ring or a larger rear sprocket to lower the overall ratio helping him ride?

Obviously a larger rear is going to require a new chain but a small front will require the chain shortening, either is do able I'm just not sure the best way to proceed (gut feeling is saying smaller chainset ring)

Matthew

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    New rear as a smaller front looks like it will be new cranks. Unless it is BMX peg drive.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks,

Freewheel removed today, I'm thinking about a 22t single freewheel to replace it with, what should I be looking out for with its replacement?

Original Freewheel
    IMG-20120219-00453.jpg

Matthew
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Any as they all have the same fitting...... (except for micro drive).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Excelent.

Thank you for your help :D

Matthew