(Flat) Classic Season predictions

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited April 2012 in Pro race
It's almost there.

In just over a week, the one day races begin, and naturally, it kicks off with a beauty, het Niuewsblad.( I rate it only behind The Ronde and E3) We then go to Kuurne the next day, before we faff about a bit with MS-R, P-N and T-A, before getting into the Flaamse Wielerweek, before the daddy and mummy, the Ronde and Roubaix.

We've seen some of the hitters in action, some even winning some stages.

So. Prediction please

Top 3 and possibly how the race will pan out if it's worth a mention (an MS-R sprint finish doesn't count!)

Het Nieuwsblad/Kuurne Brussel Kuurne:

Strade Bianchi:

Milan San Remo:

E3:

Ghent Wevelgem:

De Ronde van Vlaanderen:

Paris Roubaix:

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Het Nieuwsblad/Kuurne Brussel Kuurne: J A Flecha to win solo in another grimy edition of Het Nieuwsblad. Griepel to win a sprint in KBK and be pronounced as favourite for MSR.

Strade Bianchi: Gilbert to open his classics account here

Milan San Remo: Cavendish to remind everyone that he's still the boss when it comes to sprinting.

E3: EBH to show that he hasn't forgotten how to ride on the cobblestones, beating Boonen in the final sprint.

Ghent Wevelgem: Cavendish to finally win this, crossing the line screaming "I'm the daddy" and sending Peta Todd into labour with all the excitement.

De Ronde van Vlaanderen: The tougher course will help Phillipe Gilbert to carve another notch onto his classics bedpost.

Paris Roubaix: With the the tougher Ronde course i've got a sneaky feeling that Mr Tom Boonen will rediscover his classics winning legs here and cause Rick Chasey to spontaneously combust with excitement.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Het Nieuwsblad/Kuurne Brussel Kuurne: J A Flecha to win solo in another grimy edition of Het Nieuwsblad. Griepel to win a sprint in KBK and be pronounced as favourite for MSR.

Milan San Remo: Cavendish to remind everyone that he's still the boss when it comes to sprinting.

E3: EBH to show that he hasn't forgotten how to ride on the cobblestones, beating Boonen in the final sprint.

Ghent Wevelgem: Cavendish to finally win this, crossing the line screaming "I'm the daddy" and sending Peta Todd into labour with all the excitement.

De Ronde van Vlaanderen: The tougher course will help Phillipe Gilbert to carve another notch onto his classics bedpost.

Paris Roubaix: With the the tougher Ronde course i've got a sneaky feeling that Mr Tom Boonen will rediscover his classics winning legs here and cause Rick Chasey to spontaneously combust with excitement.

Seems reasonable, with the exception of E3!!
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Lets just save time and typing ... EBH all the way

:D
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Paris Roubaix: Hushovd. In a sprint from Cancellara and Boonen.

Who cares about the rest!

• inkyfingers

Seems reasonable, with the exception of E3!!

That's the prediction i'm least confident of, the second tier classics like that are always hard to call as you don't know who is there to win and who is saving their legs for bigger things.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Het Nieuwsblad/Kuurne Brussel Kuurne: Hushovd (HN), Degenkolb (KBK)

Strade Bianchi: Pozzato from a small group

Milan San Remo: Cav. Easily.

E3: Steegmans to get his big one day win

Ghent Wevelgem: Hushovd again

De Ronde van Vlaanderen: Boonen to come back big time

Paris Roubaix: Thomas will take his first major road victory here
  • rick_chasey
    Do we all agree Matt Goss won't be doing anything?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

No, but I can't decide what he will be doing yet.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    He has his own show at Caesars in Las Vegas, can't be all bad can it?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    (small voice)

I'm hoping Hincapie will do something.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tusher wrote:
    (small voice)

I'm hoping Hincapie will do something.

Of course he will.

He'll support Gilbert.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    (holds head in hands)

Walked right into that one, didn't I?

I'm hoping he wins Paris-Roubaix.

Ok, I know, I know, he might also win the Euromillions Lottery the same day.
  • inkyfingers
    Sadly at Paris-Roubaix he will be working for Hushovd.

I know what you mean though Tusher, i've always had a strange soft spot for Hincapie. I don't know why though, yes he's played the selfless domestique role a lot, but he's also won quite a few races and had the opportunities to win many more so it's not like he's sacrificed his career solely to serve others in the way that somebody like Charly Wegelius or Michael Barry have done.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    How the races will be won:

Het Volk - from a small group (max 4)
    Milan-San Remo - a group of about 15 coming to the finish
    RVV - a solo breakaway win by a smaller name as teams don't adjust to the new course
    P-R - either extremely controlled or utter chaos - no inbetween
    Strade Bianchi - not won by an Italian
    GW & KBK - routine sprinters races
    E3 - Sky will win this

Italian wins - 0
    Belgian wins - 2
    British wins - 1
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I'd like to see Greipel win MSR. Not gonna happen though..........but then again......
  • Het Nieuwsblad/Kuurne Brussel Kuurne: Nieuswsblad Boonen to take a sprint finish, Van Avermaet and EBH to complete the top 3, Kuurne Brussel Kuurne Griepel will take another win, Cav and Boonen to complete top 3.
    Strade Bianchi: Gilbert will repeat
    Milan San Remo: Griepel called the favorite but can't match up against the speed of the world champion, Petacchi for 3rd.
    E3: Spartacus will reclaim his power by soloing in for a decisive 3rd win in a row, Boonen and gilbert to compete for the next steps on the podium (no particular order)
    Ghent Wevelgem: Will come down to a sprint between Boonen and Hushovd, lesser known rider to get 3rd.
    De Ronde van Vlaanderen: After 2 year of crap results Boonen finally gets a classic by soloing away with Cancellara and Hushovd then taking the sprint.
    Paris Roubaix: Spartacus strikes again leaving Boonen, Ballan, Hushovd, Van Summeran in his dust. OR, BMC is pushing the pace hard at the front, the contenders (Boonen, Cancellara, maybe Pozzato) are hurting, Hushovd is hurting a little but feeling good about his chances. Marcas Burghardt pulls off his job done to let none other than Big George Hincapie pull through for his turn to dish out some pain. As Hincapie starts to up the pace riders start to fall off, and now Hushovd is really hurting, but Hicapie has never felt better. A slight gap of a few feet appears between him and the other contendors, and that gap starts to get bigger and bigger. Soon Hincapie has over a minute lead on everybody else and is flying. Hincapie solos into the velodrome arms raised high. Cancellara takes second with Hushovd deep in pain taking 3rd.
  • ddraver

Trouble with Goss is that he's essentially challenging for the same races that Cav and Greipel are. He's not got great form/not shown his hand yet so he's an unknown quantity.

Basically I agree with most of whats above (Cav/Greipel in the sprinty ones, Canc/Boonen/Hushovd in the hard man ones) but i think it should be Cav/Greipel/Goss. I think Kittel could cause a few upsets in some of the less prestigious (if such a thing exists) races too, a la young Cav from a few years back
    - @ddraver
  • Will we see Geraint Thomas participate in the spring classics or will he solely be looking at the track this season?

He could be a good outside bet to pull off something good, especially after last years efforts.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Will we see Geraint Thomas participate in the spring classics or will he solely be looking at the track this season?

He could be a good outside bet to pull off something good, especially after last years efforts.

He'll be giving them a miss. The track Worlds, which he'll be doing, are the same week as Paris-Roubaix.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    RichN95 wrote:
    Will we see Geraint Thomas participate in the spring classics or will he solely be looking at the track this season?

He'll be giving them a miss. The track Worlds, which he'll be doing, are the same week as Paris-Roubaix.

Whilst I understand his Olympic ambitions it will be a shame to have to wait till 2013 to see how he can follow up his impressive performances in the classics in 2011.
  • ddraver
    ^ I know, it's a shame but hey ho...
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Looks like he's going to pack in the egg and spoon stuff

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint ... 2-olympics

Did he really show much in the cobbled classics last year? Ok, 10'th in Flanders is good, but aside from that?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    Remember that 10th place was after doing a lot of work for J A Flecha. He was also second at Dwars Door Vlaanderen last year and in the 2010 tour he rode rode extremely well to get 2nd behind Hushovd on the cobbled stage. Personally I think he has the necessary assets to do well at the classics (and short stage races), though I think he probably needs more experience to improve his tactical prowess (sometimes I think he probably does more work than he needs to).

I'm glad he's quitting the track after the Olympics. Like Wiggins, he's proved himself in that arena and I don't think in this day and age you can truly excel at both.

I was wondering last night whether Ben Swift is really doing himself any favours trying to do the Omnium on the track. He's good, but not sure he's a true enough all rounder to win gold in that event. Particularly after the progress he made on the road last year, bagging some good wins. I hope he doesn't look back at 2012 as a wasted year.
  • ddraver
    iainf72 wrote:

Did he really show much in the cobbled classics last year? Ok, 10'th in Flanders is good, but aside from that?

In spite of working for others though...

Edit - or what Inky said...
    - @ddraver
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Is this PTP? Have you usurped afx?
    I don't want to tax my brain if it's not!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

He kept Flanders exciting by burying himself to keep it together and he was the other guy away with Nuyens in Dwars Door Vlaanderen.

So yeah, I'd say he showed enough that he's worth paying attention to for the future.
  • rick_chasey
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Is this PTP? Have you usurped afx?
    I don't want to tax my brain if it's not!

No no, it's more a way to put your outlandish predictions down (with a bit of flowery description if you fancy) without hurting your PTP.
  • How about Lars Boom to do something this spring. Not sure what though, maybe win one of the semi "(Flat) Classics" or maybe a high placing in one of the big ones!

Is that vague enough?

• blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Het Nieuwsblad: Lars Boom (though history suggests back-to-back Dutch wins are unlikely); Chavanel 2nd & Lars Bak 3rd for a Lars sandwich.

Kuurne Brussel Kuurne: Boonen

Strade Bianchi: Gilbert will open his account for the year

Milan San Remo: I'd love to see Boonen win it (it's a huge gap in his palmares), but i think Greipel.

E3: Cancellara; Chavanel 2nd

Ghent Wevelgem: Cavendish

De Ronde van Vlaanderen: Gilbert, having gone away with Boonen and Cancellara on the Paterberg

Paris Roubaix: Boonen will join Roger de Vlaeminck and become 'Meneer Parijs-Roubaix'
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • rick_chasey
    Het Nieuwsblad: Van Avermaert. Sneaks away without much pomp, suddenly at 10km to go everyone realises he's great but won't drag any BMC guys to the finish.

Kuurne Brussel Kuurne: Boonen - to make up for being shocking in het volk from a sprint out of a small peloton

Strade Bianchi: Gilbert.

Milan San Remo: Freire. Again.

E3: Boonen - sprint from small group

Ghent Wevelgem: Boonen - like he did last year

De Ronde van Vlaanderen: Cancellara. Blows everyone away with a lap to go.

Paris Roubaix: Boonen, from a sprint of 3 (again)