Bristol Bus Driver

2»

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    What a totally avoidable situation. So one broke his leg and bike and the other got fired and jailed. Might teach them both to be a little less stupid next time they get into a similar situation..
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Obviously what the bus driver did was terrible & he deserves his prison sentence but the cyclist was a bit of an idiot. Shout some abuse & flip the bird then leave it & ride off. It's a bad idea to wind up someone in control of a bus weighing several tons when your on a bike, you don't know if that driver is mentally unstable, or what's in his head or how far you can push him before he snaps. Someone else could have pushed him to the edge already that day.
    Also you don't know who started this situation, the cyclist may have done something stupid like overtake the bus up the inside in a dangerous place
    I'm sure this isn't all one sided & I'm certainly not defending the bus driver at all but the cyclist obviously provoked the him.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    supersonic wrote:
    How do/are the 'rules' of the Highway code taken into account in law?

dg_070531.jpg

Those which are law are backed up by statute: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069869

As a convention those which are backed up by statute normally say MUST/MUST NOT and quote the relevant act. Those which say should/should not are just good advice, but failure to comply could lead to a prosecution under the general driving standard laws (e.g. inconsiderate driving)

e.g.
    129 Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

[Laws Road Traffic Act sect 36 & The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions regs 10 & 26]
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could dispbeying rules be grounds for dangerous driving/cycling?
  • diy
    supersonic wrote:
    Could dispbeying rules be grounds for dangerous driving/cycling?
    sort of, ish,

see: cps guide:
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/pros ... olicy.html

but dangerous driving and dangerous cycling are covered by different sections of the same act:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/2A
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/28
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    Looks to me the lights are changing or are on red. Shocking display of driving and anger.
    Papa? Nicole
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    diy wrote:
    No argument there, but there is a subtle difference between murder and attempted murder beyond the obvious (i.e. someone dies). For attempted murder (which was the cry here) there needs to be intention to kill only (not intent to commit gbh or murder)

I only started studying law for fun and there was a reason I didnt finish my studies :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its clear that the court, with all the facts (or at least a lot more than we have) took into account the cyclists behavious in mitigation or the senatnce would have been a lot higher. Ponificating without those facts is interesting, but ultimately pointless!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    you don't know if that driver is mentally unstable, or what's in his head or how far you can push him before he snaps. Someone else could have pushed him to the edge already that day.
    not really the type of person who should be driving a bus, with other peoples lives in his hands then, wouldn't you say :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Its clear that the court, with all the facts (or at least a lot more than we have) took into account the cyclists behavious in mitigation or the senatnce would have been a lot higher. Ponificating without those facts is interesting, but ultimately pointless!

Simon

[pedant]as we dont have anything more than the video report, nothing is clear and we have no idea whether the court took into account the cyclists behaviour - although it would seem likely[/pedant]
  • diy
    The facts are largely irrelevant when the defendant pleads guilty unless there is a view that they are unfit to plea. From the reports of the summing up its clear the defence pleaded guilty with mitigation of provocation leading to "a moment of madness".