Reba front shock solid- due to not serviced?

d3matt
d3matt Posts: 510
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My front shock (RockShox Reba SL 120mm) is virtually solid and doesn't compress. It's been getting worse over the last few rides. I hadn't realised it should be serviced every 50 hours. The bike is now 18 months old and I've done about 235 hours/1,500 miles - all off-road.
I've just purchased some 5wt and 15wt oil and intend to do my first service on the shock later today. Is this likely to solve the problem or do you suspect there are more serious issues or parts needed?

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mine did something similar, ended up with 30mm of really easy travel, no resistance at all, then they'd hit a 'stop' and just about compress 10mm, then not move at all. A service sorted them.

I'd be tempted to get the proper service kit, with the replacement seals, too. Take them apart, give everything a good clean and they should be good as new.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I haven't had this problem on my Reba's but they are much better following a recent service. Rather than use the expensive official service kits I used the £8.75 o-ring kit from ebay seller evilhomersimpson which worked perfectly. I didn't replace the wiper seals although will probably use Enduro seals when I next service them.
  • d3matt
    Thank you for the pointers. Are the Euduro seals much better than the OEM ones then?

• Neal_
    d3matt wrote:
    Thank you for the pointers. Are the Euduro seals much better than the OEM ones then?

Apparently so, order direct from USA with some Finish Line stanchion lube for £21ish

See here for looooooads of info http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspensio ... 82186.html
  • Neal_ wrote:
    I haven't had this problem on my Reba's but they are much better following a recent service. Rather than use the expensive official service kits I used the £8.75 o-ring kit from ebay seller evilhomersimpson which worked perfectly. I didn't replace the wiper seals although will probably use Enduro seals when I next service them.

can vouch for the ebay seals too. They were spot on!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Enduro seals - would not bother. RS seals are excellent anyway.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I know TF don't recommend Enduro seals... Though they could have nefarious reasons for that o'course, who knows. Rockshox ones are good though. No reason to assume yours need changed tbh- I'd say a bit of exploratory surgery's in order, before you spend money on anything other than oil.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    d3matt wrote:
    My front shock (RockShox Reba SL 120mm) is virtually solid and doesn't compress. It's been getting worse over the last few rides. I hadn't realised it should be serviced every 50 hours. The bike is now 18 months old and I've done about 235 hours/1,500 miles - all off-road.
    I've just purchased some 5wt and 15wt oil and intend to do my first service on the shock later today. Is this likely to solve the problem or do you suspect there are more serious issues or parts needed?
    It could be possible that damping oil leaked into the lower right leg and is forming a hydrolock when you hit the last 30mm preventing it from being compressed. If that's it then it's just a case of a simple seal and oil replacement.

I can vouch for how easy this is because i've just done it myself before, whilst taking out a travel spacer.
  • Neal_
    Northwind wrote:
    I know TF don't recommend Enduro seals... Though they could have nefarious reasons for that o'course, who knows. Rockshox ones are good though. No reason to assume yours need changed tbh- I'd say a bit of exploratory surgery's in order, before you spend money on anything other than oil.

How would you know if the wiper seals needed replacing when you take the lowers off? Mine don't appear to show any signs of damage and aren't leaking oil onto the stanchions but the forks are possibly 6 years old and I don't know if they've ever been replaced as I bought them second last year.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Neal_ wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

How would you know if the wiper seals needed replacing when you take the lowers off? Mine don't appear to show any signs of damage and aren't leaking oil onto the stanchions but the forks are possibly 6 years old and I don't know if they've ever been replaced as I bought them second last year.
    Hence he said no reason to assume they need changed. You need to check it properly first.
  • Neal_
    So what do you check then?
  • Northwind
    Just a visual check for any signs of wear, damage or loss of shape.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Neal_
    Thanks, in that case mine seem fine so I'll save myself the cash when I next service them and just change the oil.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Every 50 hours or thereabouts is nuts but they all say that. My old Recons are still going 3 years on never having been serviced. Don't know how many hours it's been but guessing at once or twice a week rides over the years. Much more than 50 anyway.
  • Northwind
    Neal_ wrote:
    Thanks, in that case mine seem fine so I'll save myself the cash when I next service them and just change the oil.

I would say, if in any doubt change them. Better than than destroying the CSUs! But people do replace an awful lot of perfectly good top seals, usually in an attempt to fix problems that have nothing to do with them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    Mine (rebas) should be due a service, never had a problem with them so far and i`m up to approx 1600 miles, i was going to wait until the spring to be honest, the seals look fine and everything appears to be spot on!
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Northwind
    I never serviced my Revs til they exploded. As it happened,the explosion wasn't related to servicing anyway, so they got serviced post-explosion and then didn't get serviced again til next time they exploded. Which was fixed on warranty from the last explosion. It's working out pretty economic, if slightly annoying.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • d3matt
    Well I've done my forks today.Very little oil came out compared to what I had to put back in. The old oil was very brown too. Do they have less oil in from new?
    All the seals were fine. Filled with the oil and they are now moving properly. Took me ages though. Will be much quicker next time.
    Yet to try the bike yet - will be tomorrow.

• Northwind wrote:
    I never serviced my Revs til they exploded. As it happened,the explosion wasn't related to servicing anyway, so they got serviced post-explosion and then didn't get serviced again til next time they exploded. Which was fixed on warranty from the last explosion. It's working out pretty economic, if slightly annoying.

exploding revs, do tell?
  • Northwind
    Ah, not that much to tell, it was a fairly common issue with some early Teams apparently. But because it caused other damage the first time due to the stopping distance after the fork popped, they missed the original cause. All sorted now I think.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • d3matt
    Thanks for all the help here again. I serviced the shock (which just involved just cleaning and new oil) and went for a ride yesterday and it was great to have some suspension back again. It had obviously getting stiff over months and because it was so gradual, I hadn't realised how bad it was getting.