Flashride Wednesday 22nd

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    Is this going to go on all day again? Just so I know not to bother checking back.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    rjsterry wrote:
    Is this going to go on all day again? Just so I know not to bother checking back.
    No, I'll let him have the last word.
  • Just thinking aloud on this one really, but from a purely selfish perspective I'm not sure I want many more cyclists on London roads. Sure, I know that with greater participation comes more of a responsibility for authority to pay attention to our needs, but let's be honest, cycling relatively safely in major cities requires a certain awareness and a level of skill that many cyclists just do not posses. I'm lucky in that my journey is rarely at peak commuting times, but when it is, my heart goes out to you poor buggers who have to deal with idiots on bikes on a daily basis. That repeatedly-pushing-to-the-front-of-the-cycle-queue-at-traffic-lights thing only to set off slowly and get in everyone else's way when they change is something I only ever experience when riding at busy times, but it happens over and over again when I do, and it drives me nuts. I'm not that fussed about those who RLJ on my journey because there are few of them and the roads are often dead, but at rush hour, the sheer number of divs who clearly know that they are putting themselves in danger and maybe even yes, bringing their fellow cyclists into disrepute by so casually breaking the law is staggering. Like DDD says, I quite like that I can cruise along at 18mph plus without really needing to be held up by plodding nodders, but with more cyclists on the road, or segregated cycle lanes, perhaps I would no longer be able to do so.

I'm not too sure that I believe anything I have just said justifies not encouraging more people to ride, but like I say, it was on my mind. I'm completely open to all arguments and think a lot of you on opposite sides of the fence have had worthwhile things to say.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    There are about 10 regular riders and another 10 fair weather riders in my office, an office of 60 I should add. Only myself and 1-2 others are vehicular speed freaks. Everyone else wants to get to work safely not in a sweaty mess.

So from a personal perspective I don't agree with everything proposed but I can see the bigger picture.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    iPete wrote:
    So from a personal perspective I don't agree with everything proposed but I can see the bigger picture.
    I totally agree with this. My main concern is as my kids start cycling to school out in the suburbs. I hope the general increase in awareness will help with this.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    For me it's a case of awareness. It's easy to dismiss cyclists concerns as you see the man on the bike RLJ'ing but it's harder to ignore reality when it's shoved in your face. The whole point of rides like this is to physically demonstrate that there are an awful lot of us and that we deserve some proper consideration. When you get a huge number of bikes together in somewhere like central london it's going to annoy anyone trying to drive home but they can't fail to notice how many there are. It raises awareness, it highlights how many more cars/PB journeys there would be if we didn't choose 2 wheels and it gives us an opportunity to come together as a group and make a point. Do I agree with everything they're doing, no. For me the impact it makes is worth the scowling faces from the drivers, I get my fair share of open hostility when there is just one bike with me on it so they might aswell have something to think about.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • notsoblue
    Veronese68 wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    I totally agree with this. My main concern is as my kids start cycling to school out in the suburbs. I hope the general increase in awareness will help with this.
    I agree too. My concern is for my sisters and cousins. They should be able to use bikes to get around without having to be lycra garbed SCR nuts like me...
  • notsoblue
    Koncordski wrote:
    For me it's a case of awareness. It's easy to dismiss cyclists concerns as you see the man on the bike RLJ'ing but it's harder to ignore reality when it's shoved in your face. The whole point of rides like this is to physically demonstrate that there are an awful lot of us and that we deserve some proper consideration. When you get a huge number of bikes together in somewhere like central london it's going to annoy anyone trying to drive home but they can't fail to notice how many there are. It raises awareness, it highlights how many more cars/PB journeys there would be if we didn't choose 2 wheels and it gives us an opportunity to come together as a group and make a point. Do I agree with everything they're doing, no. For me the impact it makes is worth the scowling faces from the drivers, I get my fair share of open hostility when there is just one bike with me on it so they might aswell have something to think about.
    +1 Well put.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    notsoblue wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:
    +1 Well put.

Absolutely. The issue is in the Commons and is being debated by sensible people. I just hope that the impact of tonight is limited to raising awareness, and that this doesn't give a platform to some of the more, err, questionable elements to throw the sensible work off course.

I'll try and be there. Look out for the pink and say hello.
  • As am I, I'm hoping this is not critical mass lite but really if I don't feel happy I'll peal off.
  • Stuck in a meeting until 6.30 otherwise I'd have popped along. Hope it's safe and the bad weather/wind doesn't affect things.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    So, Morpeth?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rjsterry
    Got good coverage on the evening news - 2000 cyclists they claimed! Missed it myself due to work, but well done to those who made it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Seemed mostly to be fine, a few rent a mob but on the whole stuck to the brief. As to if it will do any good? Pass, was also nice to meet some of the bike radar lot.

Most seemed normal aka just commuters.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Coverage seems pretty good http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 012/?t=12m glad the rain held off and good to see some BR faces out.

If 2000 turn up for a miserable tuesday, curious as to how many will turn up on April 20th!
  • veronese68
    Glad it went well. I just went to a pub and thought of you, I think 9:30 was a bit late to head into town.
  • rjsterry
    iPete wrote:
    Coverage seems pretty good http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 012/?t=12m glad the rain held off and good to see some BR faces out.

If 2000 turn up for a miserable tuesday, curious as to how many will turn up on April 20th!
    n

And another piece on this morning's Breakfast, focusing on cycling in Amsterdam. Dare we think that this is the start of something? Will try and make the 20th April.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    edited February 2012
    It was really good, very well marshalled as always including plenty of plod at junctions. Only one boombox on a bike that I could hear and otherwise everyone looked like they were on their way home. Interview clips on the news also very good, people just saying they want to be able to feel safe on the road. As an added bonus it upset lots of black cab drivers. ;)

Edit, bad phone video. This was on the return leg through the square.
    http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/Re ... G_1161.mp4

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • veronese68
    April 20th. I'll put the date in my diary and make sure I can get there. It's a Friday so drinks in the Morpeth after I presume.
  • notsoblue
    Really great turnout for the flash ride last night. Was good to see. And was nice to meet up with EKE and Roger.

I felt the cross section of people there was encouraging. Lots of pretty normal looking people who happen to ride bikes, rather than lycra clad deviants. And there was only one "special" guy with a boombox strapped to his back.

Bit concerned about some of the flyers being handed out though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:

Do tell.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    vermin wrote:

Absolutely. The issue is in the Commons and is being debated by sensible people.......

I thought it was being debated by MP's - clearly not
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    iPete wrote:

What's on the 20th? There's something on the 28th, I think:
    If you haven't signed their petition yet please do so now, and block out Saturday April 28th in your diaries when - just one week before the Mayoral elections - they will be holding the biggest bicycle rally London has ever seen to demand action from our future Mayor.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Do tell.

Sorry, that should have been singular "flyer" rather than flyers... One was being handed out by "BikeAlive", more info about them here: http://bikesalive.wordpress.com/ They apparently organised a "Go Slow" at King's Cross on the 20th for "Cyclists, pedestrians & anybody in London actively resisting oppression by motor vehicle policy".

The flyer this chap was handing out had a line at the bottom which was tentatively trying to get support for more "militant" action. I've kept the flyer and will transcribe it later if people are interested. I don't like this approach much, and wouldn't want to be associated with that kind of action. I'll be keeping an eye out for it in future, and I'm even tempted to see what the LCC has to say about it. They'd do well to distance themselves.

Anyway, his sort was in the minority last night.
  • notsoblue
    spen666 wrote:
    vermin wrote:

Absolutely. The issue is in the Commons and is being debated by sensible people.......

I thought it was being debated by MP's - clearly NOT
    FTFY
  • veronese68
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Do tell.

Sorry, that should have been singular "flyer" rather than flyers... One was being handed out by "BikeAlive", more info about them here: http://bikesalive.wordpress.com/ They apparently organised a "Go Slow" at King's Cross on the 20th for "Cyclists, pedestrians & anybody in London actively resisting oppression by motor vehicle policy".

The flyer this chap was handing out had a line at the bottom which was tentatively trying to get support for more "militant" action. I've kept the flyer and will transcribe it later if people are interested. I don't like this approach much, and wouldn't want to be associated with that kind of action. I'll be keeping an eye out for it in future, and I'm even tempted to see what the LCC has to say about it. They'd do well to distance themselves.

Not keen on things that get too militant. I don't think opposing motor vehicles is the way to go. Then the majority with cars will turn even more anti cyclists. Improving cycling facilities and giving them higher priority isn't the same as opposing motor vehicles.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    http://t.co/RsLxOwFH

Discussed in parliament now.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    http://t.co/RsLxOwFH

Discussed in parliament now.

Cheers for the link. I feel like I'm watching it on fast forward, they sure are rattling through.

Zoom
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    25 mintes before first mention of RLJ
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Do tell.

reading else where apparently the LCC blank, bikesalive, can't imagine why.....