Pingy Spokes on Hope Hoops

col72
col72 Posts: 8
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently got a pair of Hope Hoops with ZTR Crest rims. I've only done about 400k on them and when going uphill or accelerating hard the spokes in the rear wheel are pinging.

It didn't happen when I first got them, but as the noise started I checked the spokes and discovered that one was very loose. I tightened this and the noise subsided a bit although it's still there. The spokes feel reasonably taught but I'm guessing that the rear wheel spokes may need re-tensionsing but not sure.....thoughts anyone??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pinging often happens on a new build when the rotation has not been taken out of the spokes and the spin back and ping.

as you say these are new brand new i woul get them looked at.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    nicklouse wrote:
    pinging often happens on a new build when the rotation has not been taken out of the spokes and the spin back and ping.

as you say these are new brand new i woul get them looked at.
    I once saw a wheel builder bounce on the wheel from a few sides to pop the spokes, almost like seating them. Same thing here?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You do that if you need to during the build, but then you have to retension. Pinging is normally a problem of unoiled nipples - twisting the spokes in build.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.