Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool 2012

Just wondered if anyone had any info about this year's event?

Thinking about doing my first 'sportive' with a group of guys from work. They're doing Berlin-Boughton as a holiday in June so will be in shape for it.

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Comments

• hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    The main attractions are riding through the closed tunnel and the Cheshire lanes, I'm doing it and it should be a good day out. Apparently there were some minor issues with marshals/signage last year. Hopefully this will be sorted for 2012.

This isn't a full on Sportive in feel, more of an inclusive fun ride with sportive-like options/distances for faster riders, a good choice for a first organised ride and in aid of a great Charity too.
  • Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    hipshot wrote:
    The main attractions are riding through the closed tunnel and the Cheshire lanes, I'm doing it and it should be a good day out. Apparently there were some minor issues with marshals/signage last year. Hopefully this will be sorted for 2012.

I did the long route last year myself - made even longer by a missing sign near Chester Zoo that saw a large group including me do an extra 5 miles or so. I'll be doing it this year myself even though I found the so called food stops to be poor.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    That's not good enough these days - even for a charity ride ...

Pennine Events, I hope you are listening.
  • hipshot wrote:

I did the long route last year myself - made even longer by a missing sign near Chester Zoo that saw a large group including me do an extra 5 miles or so. I'll be doing it this year myself even though I found the so called food stops to be poor.

Haha, me too at exactly the same spot -we were not alone.

My take on it. signage and marshalling really good for the liverpool chester, if you do the long route after chester the marshalls disappear and you need a sharp eye for the signs. The food stops at 15 miles at the rugby club and the one at the countess of chester arent that bad, butties, cakes fruit and theres always an ice cream van at the hospital for cold cokes n stuff. The feedstop at delamere is basically the delamere shop. I saw loads last year pulling over near the crossroads and waiting for fam/mates to pull up with food.

The worst of it was riding with mates who'd never done that distance and because of the tunnel opening at 3 we had to get a wriggle to make the cutoff, just kinda took the easy fun out of it.

The 90 is ok I've done it 3 times and its just so-so, once you've done it you will probably feel like having done such a distance then you can tick it off as a challenge done. I'm probably going to be doing the 54 liv chester this year just so I can take it easy and not worry about getting back before the tunnel opens.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Wirral_paul
    The food stops at 15 miles at the rugby club and the one at the countess of chester arent that bad, butties, cakes fruit and theres always an ice cream van at the hospital for cold cokes n stuff. The feedstop at delamere is basically the delamere shop. I saw loads last year pulling over near the crossroads and waiting for fam/mates to pull up with food.

I got to the Rugby club in around 50 mins last year so way to early to stop. When we got to Chester, they appeared to be charging for food - were we looking in the wrong place? Still for me and my mate - way to early to need food anyway but we were looking to pick up a gel or banana etc.

If you get to the Hatchmere crossroads on the way back and take a detour left (not straight on through the forest), then there's a cracking cafe at Delamere Station about half a mile down. We popped there and were surprised it was quiet - expected it to be really busy.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2270662
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Hi Paul :)

Right, 'charity' status for this ride, I'm not convinced it is a charity ride yet. I think they encourage riders to collect money for charity in the way of sponsorship, but it's never been clear to me if your entry fee goes to charity.

Claire House, a very deserving cause, is associated with the event and I'm sure they do benefit in some way.

Anyone know for sure how the charity benefits? Is a proportion of the entry donated, or are Pennine just relying on sponsorship from willing participants?
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    My 90 mile sportive last year turned into 111 mile after marshals directed me back into delamere, fuming at the time but once I got home I had done 125 mile for the day which felt great! Very poor organization though...
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • Wirral_paul
    dodgy wrote:
    Hi Paul :)

Right, 'charity' status for this ride, I'm not convinced it is a charity ride yet. I think they encourage riders to collect money for charity in the way of sponsorship, but it's never been clear to me if your entry fee goes to charity.

Claire House, a very deserving cause, is associated with the event and I'm sure they do benefit in some way.

Anyone know for sure how the charity benefits? Is a proportion of the entry donated, or are Pennine just relying on sponsorship from willing participants?

Hey up Dave :D

Well they got £22k last year if the event website is to be believed. I'd hazard a guess though that this is mostly through sponsorship rather than Pennine Events coughing up any of the entry fee.

I'll be doing the ride this year i'm sure - and now I know the route I wont be going via any detours.