choose between these 2 bikes

figo1963
figo1963 Posts: 6
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Previously posted about £500 hardtail purchase, will be riding mainly on compact dirt roads and paths in Tanzania, reliabilty of bike and components most important issue. So its between Genesis Core 10 2011, or Rockrider 8.1 can both be bought for similar prices. Also all round ability of bike would be an advatage. Thanks.

Comments

• I've had the Rockrider 8.1 for 18 months now, riding at least two/three times a week including some all-day offroad rides. It's doing me for London to Paris offroad in July! Reliability is fantastic - have only needed to replace brake pads; I've also changed the jockey wheels on the derailleur for KCNC alloy jockeys (red - little bit of bling). Can highly recommend Nukeproof Enduro pads for better longevity than the stock Avid pads.

Overall, for £500 it's been a delight to ride and corking value. You'll struggle to get a Recon Silver TK shock, SRAM X7 shifters and front & rear derailleurs, Hollowtech II external BB and Elixir 3s on bikes costing £1500 these days, let alone £500.

Cannot recommend it highly enough. You won't regret it.
    Commuter MTB FCN 12
    XC MTB FCN 9
  • Thanks for that info will be in Tanzania for a while, difficult to get spare parts so reliability important.