Front brake lever on left. Anyone?

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've alway set up my road bikes with the front brake lever on the left (better cable run), is there any reason why I shouldn't do the same on my mountain bike?

Serious roadie, bur I'm a novice mountain biker, and I've bought some Avid Elixir 5 disc brakes to upgrade, and have the opportunity to put the levers where I want !

Comments

• 99% of uk mtb's come set up this way
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    99% of uk mtb's come set up this way
    ???
    You mean 99% come with front brake on the RIGHT :wink:
    In Europe/USA anywhere where they drive on the wrong side of the road they tend to have the front/left,rear/right set-up.
    No reason why you shouldn't if that's what you're used to but to most UK bikers it would be wrong :?
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I had mine set up "wrong" for ages, it still braked fine ;-)
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    There is no reason why you shouldn't. Anyway, the rest* of the world ride that way. I do, and there is not much to it except personal preference, I think.. :)

*except few countries
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    99% of uk mtb's come set up this way
    ???
    You mean 99% come with front brake on the RIGHT :wink:
    In Europe/USA anywhere where they drive on the wrong side of the road they tend to have the front/left,rear/right set-up.
    No reason why you shouldn't if that's what you're used to but to most UK bikers it would be wrong :?
    Yes....you're right, it just dawned on me what I'd put and I was coming back to correct it! Thing is I've just swapped over my XT brakes to the 'English way' :lol:
  • I grew up in an Italian family and all our bicyckes where set up with front brake on the left, however when I started riding motorcycles I switched over so that the bicycle front brake is the same as the motorcycle.

It doesn't really matter your set up, but be careful the first few rides your instict might mske you pull the wrong lever with disastrous consequences, I should know..
    2022 Specialized Crux Comp Gravel destroyer
    Single speed 46x16 Traffic eliminator
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Yep, got a motorcycle, a Buell XB12 Lightning. I'll be careful! :o
  • I recently bought a bike and it came with the front brake on the right but I've switched it over. I hadn't ridden a bike in just over 10yrs (before I got this one) and it still felt wrong being the "wrong" way round (for me). I think front brake/front gears and back brake/back gears. Personal preference of course (but I couldn't help but switch my son's around too on his new bike before he rode it!)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My MTB has front on the right, my commuter front on the left, reasoning being that I use my left hand as primary brake lever on both, front on Tarmac where a lockup is unlikley, rear on the MTB where it's preferable to lock the rear and not the front, works for me!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jonifen wrote:
    I recently bought a bike and it came with the front brake on the right but I've switched it over. I hadn't ridden a bike in just over 10yrs (before I got this one) and it still felt wrong being the "wrong" way round (for me). I think front brake/front gears and back brake/back gears. Personal preference of course (but I couldn't help but switch my son's around too on his new bike before he rode it!)
    Wait until he rides a friends bike and stacks it big time.

I talk from experience.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools