Mountain high, Europe's greatest cycle climbs

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited February 2012 in Pro race
by Dan Friebe and Peter Goding.

Got this book today. Shows routes, profiles and gradients.

Excellent pictures although few/none showing epic climbing from riders in races of years gone by which is a pity.

Still highly recommended though.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I think part of the point of it was to show people what the roads/views are like when they ve NOT got a circus on them, as in, what would it look like if you or I went with our mates on a random weekend.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • by Dan Friebe and ....

We just mentioned this author the other day here. He interviewed someone from Belgium/Netherlands I believe. We just talked about him. Sounds good, there are 1 or 2 books a bit in that direction as well.

Oh, here is the thread, it was that one, you wait for a bus, books about Merckx.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12833222&p=17449351&hilit=Friebe#p17449351
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    by Dan Friebe and ....

We just mentioned this author the other day here. He interviewed someone from Belgium/Netherlands I believe. We just talked about him. Sounds good, there are 1 or 2 books a bit in that direction as well.

Oh, here is the thread, it was that one, you wait for a bus, books about Merckx.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12833222&p=17449351&hilit=Friebe#p17449351

Yeah Dan Friebe helped Mark Cavendish write Boy Racer. DF was features editor of Procycling for 5 years becoming European Editor in 2010. He has done ten TdFs apparently most likely writing about them not riding. This is what it says in the jacket of this Moutain high book.

The book is hard back and large, extremely readable, great pictures well printed from Peter Goding and £11 on Amazon at the mo. Bargain.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Got it last week! Great book, best ive seen about European climbs!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Had it for Christmas and agree with others that it's a really good book. Certainly some in there that I wouldn't mind having a go at.
  • phreak wrote:
    Had it for Christmas and agree with others that it's a really good book. Certainly some in there that I wouldn't mind having a go at.
    Me too. Almost finished: 1 climb a day!
    Was half price on Amazon.

Have to add that there are some major printing errors within it's covers.
    For instance, take the Grossglockner.
    The stats and the maps just don't add up.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.