Scottish Independence

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Let them have independence and then invade, enslave the population and put them to work in porridge mines.

It's an option, everything is on the table.
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    offer them to Argentina instead of their clim over the Falklands
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Try it and we'll nuke you with your own missles.
  • spen666
    deep fried nukes?

Twittering @spen_666
  • suzyb wrote:

How will you stay sober long enough to do that?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Looks like Sean Penn wasn't too far off the mark :roll:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • suzyb
    Greg66 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Ah the SNP has a cunning plan. They're going to introduce a minimum price per unit of alcohol and us Scots being so poor wont be able to afford enough booze to get drunk.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    If Bonnie Scotland goes it alone -

Will there be checkpoints at Carter Bar, Coldstream and the A1?
    will all Scots living in England be re-patriated to Scotland?
    No Scotish MPs in the house of Commons and Lords?
    Berwick Rangers will have to play in the English leagues.(unless the border is moved south of Berwick!)
    How long could Scotland survive on it's whisky and oil exports?
    Personally, as I live near to Scotland and love my single malts, it should stay part of the UK, otherwise I couldn't care less.

Even on a clear day, I can't see the point.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    At least the shops will have a proper excuse for not taking Scottish Pounds.

They could of course join the Euro for absolute pure Tuetonic Austeritc Economic contraction and fiscal oatmeal oblivion.

I'll be going short on shortbread futures and will be liquidating my position in sharps disposal boxes.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    byke68 wrote:
    If Bonnie Scotland goes it alone -

Will there be checkpoints at Carter Bar, Coldstream and the A1? Is there check points on the French/Italian border? If so, then yes.
    will all Scots living in England be re-patriated to Scotland? Nah. They're the ones we kicked out. Especially the politicians :wink:
    No Scotish MPs in the house of Commons and Lords? Fair enough. support the idea now?
    Berwick Rangers will have to play in the English leagues.(unless the border is moved south of Berwick!) Oooo. Tricky one for the population of Berwick.
    How long could Scotland survive on it's whisky and oil exports? Longer than you think. Or have been told.
    Personally, as I live near to Scotland and love my single malts, it should stay part of the UK, otherwise I couldn't care less. Similar to a Channel beer/cigies run. Questions is, which way would it be going?

Even on a clear day, I can't see the point. It gives the politicians something to talk about other than the economy.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • spen666
    Greg T wrote:
    At least the shops will have a proper excuse for not taking Scottish Pounds. ....

You mean apart from the fact that as now, they are not legal tender in England as not issued by Bank of England

Twittering @spen_666
  • Greg T
    spen666 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    At least the shops will have a proper excuse for not taking Scottish Pounds. ....

You mean apart from the fact that as now, they are not legal tender in England as not issued by Bank of England

What about shortbread futures?

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,369
    spen666 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

True, but
    The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

So it'll be up to the shopkeeper as before.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I went to see the Scottish Parliament the other day.

Worst funk tribute band ever.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,994
    spen666 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    They aren't legal tender in Scotland either. But then neither is an English pound. :?
  • First.Aspect
    Greg T wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Peak biscuit has already passed.
  • Greg T
    Peak biscuit has already passed.[/quote]

I knew I should haven't have dabbled in digestive derivatives.

• Greg T

I knew I should haven't have dabbled in digestive derivatives

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    suzyb wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Ah the SNP has a cunning plan. They're going to introduce a minimum price per unit of alcohol and us Scots being so poor wont be able to afford enough booze to go on a nihilistic white cider fuelled bender for under a fiver.
    FTFY
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg T wrote:

I knew I should haven't have dabbled in digestive derivatives

I got my fingers burned getting involved in BBS's. Biscuit-backed securities.

I should have figured they were jammy. The guys seemed selling them seemed a bunch of dodgers.
  • Greg T

I should have figured they were jammy. The guys seemed selling them seemed a bunch of dodgers.

they made a packet - nice for them,

• rick_chasey
    Greg T wrote:

They are certainly rich tea now.
  • First.Aspect
    Greg T wrote:

The economy is crumbling.
  • suzyb
    Greg T wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • First.Aspect
    Greg T wrote:

But will eventually get batter.
  • rick_chasey
    Greg T wrote:

But will eventually get batter.

It was my own fault. I should have stayed off the bourbons before I decided to dunk myself in it.
  • rick_chasey
    I thought about dabbling on the frangipane markets but my friend told me it was full of nuts.
  • Greg T
    I thought about dabbling on the frangipane markets but my friend told me it was full of nuts.

Marzipan is an exotic asset class - it's very cyclical and only really pays out around Christmas - you can use it as a wrapper for your baked in deposits

• rick_chasey
    Greg T wrote:

Marzipan is an exotic asset class - it's very cyclical and only really pays out around Christmas - you can use it as a wrapper for your baked in deposits

Indeed. It works well with other cross-cake trades. I made some sweet money through re-packaging a battenberg loaf from a baker with a chequered past, by slicing it up and selling it on as individual pieces :).