Using armband for phone on the stem?

jamienorton
jamienorton Posts: 182
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Anyone mounted there phone to the stem using an armband? does it work ok? Want to use the phones gps navigation when on new routes (no sense of direction).

Comments

• I've generally had bad experiences with mounting phones on bikes...
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    It sound useful but I'd be worried that it distract me from concentrating on the road, just when I should be concentrating at a junction.

I have my iPhone in my back pocket. I have a good idea where I'm heading by looking at a map beforehand. If I want to check the map ( I use Strava, fab) then I time it for a drink stop.
  • How about the purpose built phone mounts, they look abit crap to me but never used one. I dont plan on mounting some £500 superphone just a fairly cheap one (samsung galaxy y). Although im not sure how tight the armbands go, a stems alot thinner than a bicep. Just found an app where i can follow my pre determined gpx routes so want to give it a go. Cant justify an Edge 800 atm.
  • I've got one of these for my iPhone:

Mount it on the stem. Phone screen locked most of the time, but easy to swipe it open and have a glance at the map/speed/distance etc (only when safe obviously...)

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... CTOP0048KK
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I've used and armband mounted iophone on stem in past before i got a garmin, it worked absoloutely fine, tho' just about all my cycling is in the countryside not towns!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....