Left and right wheel movement.

fitzyboy2000
fitzyboy2000 Posts: 25
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Good afternoon

5 weeks ago I bought a whyte 901 off my local dealer. It has gone in for its first service today as there is a little bit of left and right movement in the front wheel with everything tighten up, they have come back and said if you put a bit of weight on the forks it goes, surely there should be no movement in it at all.

Whats your thoughts.

Chris

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like loose cones. What hubs does it have?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Oh, and you lbs is a bunch of idiots if that is their advice.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • it has a Alloy, Double Sealed Bearing Hub 15mm Through Axle, 32 Hole......whats the cones?
  • benpinnick
    Ok, no cones. Still something wrong though. If you remove the 15mm axle and push it though the hub, how snug/loose is it?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • i havent tried its with the shop at the mo...sounds as if they are trying to fob me off I dont know why its under warranty no skin of there teeth....what u thinking?
  • still sounds like bearings to me....
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah it does sound like bearings...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • benpinnick
    Defo a fob off. once tight there should be no movement - bending if pushed hard enough yes, but actually movement, no.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Go to a less crap shop. Need to know more about your hubs really, pics would be good- benpinnick's probably right but I don't want to rely on the crappy website info tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Where is it moving?
    Hub in dropouts
    hub over axle (so dics should move and rub pads)
    Wheel at rim without hub moving (Dunno, COULD happen!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • An internal gap of about 1mm+ in Thru-Axle hubs is the usual cause of a knocking sound when you rock the front wheel leftwards and rightwards.

It indicates a missing seal or a crimped seal (ie damaged, not sitting flush against the mating surfaces), so check for that.
  • Whyte are sending another wheel and at closer inspection the hub is knocking on the axel about a mm gap...? So hub at fault?