Chain Lube Question

simonekarl
simonekarl Posts: 48
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have faithfully been using wet lube on both my road and mtb for years. Whilst keeping the chains links nice and smooth and quiet the chain always ends up think black and attracts all the muck to it. So you need to faff about and get the chain cleaned.....

In the carpark at Cwmcarn last week I noticed a group of bikers using GT85 spray lube, I always thought that spray lubes like WD40 were too thin and therefore useless. However these guys swore by it and there chains and cassettes looked much cleaner than mine, also they didn't seem to have the black sticky chain stays.

Can anyone recommend GT85 or similar?
2022 Specialized Crux Comp Gravel destroyer
Single speed 46x16 Traffic eliminator

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    simonekarl wrote:
    Can anyone recommend GT85 or similar?

Nope.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Squirt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    or Rock n Roll Extreme.

WD40 and GT85 are degreasers more than lubes.
  • GT85 is mainly solvent. With a tiny little bit of teflon.

IMO its great for things that don't really need proper lubrication. Keeps the corrosion at bay on screw heads and other exposed metal bits, etc. Rubbish for chains.

Stick with the wet lube.
  • Tim-A
    Tim-A Posts: 23
    I've been using Finish Line Teflon Dry Lube for a while now and find it very good - no more of that residue build up you get with wet lube. Does what it says on the tin really - good for wet & dry conditions. Hope that helps.
  • Cool. Thanks 'nuff said.
    2022 Specialized Crux Comp Gravel destroyer
    Single speed 46x16 Traffic eliminator
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    GT85 does leave a light machine oil film as well- it's not useless as a chain lube, just extremely bad. Does work as a water disperser though so people often use it after washing bikes.

I like White Lightning Epic Ride, works decently for everything but the worst mud. Squirt is absolutely fantastic in the dry.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    simonekarl wrote:
    In the carpark at Cwmcarn last week I noticed a group of bikers using GT85 spray lube, I always thought that spray lubes like WD40 were too thin and therefore useless. However these guys swore by it and there chains and cassettes looked much cleaner than mine, also they didn't seem to have the black sticky chain stays.
    It's a degreaser and great at shifting muck. That's why their kit looks sparklingly clean. It also removes grease. I bet they carry a load of spare chains and/or chain links too ;)

Whilst it leaves a teflon residue, it's nowhere near enough to get deep into the rollers on the chain to lube it enough.

The reason they use it is because Halfords give the stuff away. It's the worse thing they can give out to 'lube' a bike.

Has its place for cleaning crud off prior to lubing up, but that's it (and Muck Off is better anyway).