What do I grease and what do I lube?

DannyOT
DannyOT Posts: 9
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Having never really ventured into the world of bike maintenance before, I am slightly confused as to what needs greasing and what needs lubing when it comes to my bike.

Obviously the chain needs lubing but does that apply to the mechs and cassette? I presume cables get greased as does the seatpost but what about other components?
<b>DannyOT</b>

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it moves (and should move), grease it.

Anything else, don't. Small bolts may need threadlock, but check manuals as to what needs it or not.

What grease - doesn't really matter on a bike as long as it's plain grease (though some argue not to use lithium grease. I don't know. Never used the stuff anyway). Chains, chain/bike oil as thicker greases are a bit much.

GT85 - only if you want to remove grease or shift crud from an area that has no bearings and there's no harm shoving a degreaser in there.
  • Any thoughts on using a steam cleaner on a bike?

Obviously keeping well away from bearings.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Why would you want to?

Fastest way to kill it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Why would you want to?

Fastest way to kill it.

Well its just hot water? No chemicals or anything. How is it different to really hot water? Even just for cleaning the cassette and chain?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Steam cleaner would drive water into everything. Even if you avoided the bearings, it would get deep into the chain rollers and you could end up with water inside that will need removing after before you oil it. Noting that the key to chain oiling is to drive oil into the rollers to get to the pivots inside and needs to be dry, water and oil don't mix (and water will rust it from the inside). http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

If it's hot steam, even at low pressure, I'd be wary about getting it near any rubber seals.

Really you just need to rinse the mud off a bike. MuckOff is great at helping here. Spray on, leave a few minutes, rinse with low pressure, wipe the remains. Water and elbow grease is also good. Water is just on the surface then, just dry off, and polish up if you like. Clean chain and oil. Less frequently oil stuff like gear cables and longer term you can do a proper service.

Don't have to be obsessed about endless cleaning. Bikes are fine if they're not terribly mucky for the next ride. Wipe down/dust off, wipe the chain down, oil, good to go.

Other stuff I do is apply a spray oil to the mechs. Not GT85 or anything similar with solvent in it, just plain bike oil that has a spray nozzle. Hassle for chains but I find it handy for applying to things like mechs, cassettes, squeaky seat clamps, around the surfaces of pivots.