Stem for 1.25" Steerer Tube?

Tim-A
Tim-A Posts: 23
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
After much searching on tinterweb, unsuccessfully, for a 70mm stem to fit the 1.25" (1 1/4 inch) steerer tube on my Giant Trance X1 I have decided to seek help from you clever people out there. I asked the shop I bought the bike from if they can get one and they can get a Giant one for about £75 but I wondered if anyone new of any alternatives? Bars are standard 31.8mm and I would be looking for a low-ish angle.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is not 1 1/4" it is 1 1/8" that is your problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Unless its overdrive2, which is 1.25, and on most new Trances.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    true but why would you want to change a stem on such a new bike?

2011 were 1 1/8th.

again without full info or ESP the correct info can not be provided.

Syntace seem to be makeing some or you might find some really old ones in your LBS from when the 1 1/4 standard was dropped.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/STF ... _road_stem

only long lengths though.....

have you tried getting a shim and using a 1.5in steerer stem?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Tim-A
    It's a 2012 model with Overdrive2 so definitely a 1 1/4 steerer tube. The stem it came with is 90mm which is a bit too long for my preference, hence looking for a 70mm option.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    true but why would you want to change a stem on such a new bike?

2011 were 1 1/8th.

again without full info or ESP the correct info can not be provided.

Because the stock stem length isn't always right? As people on here (yourself included) are always saying, and there's a trend for short stems? You're a helpful chap Nick, but you really are unnecessarily blunt a lot of the time, the information is there, you can work out the OP's situation without needing ESP.

Syntace F119s are 1.25" (and come with a 1.125" shim), no idea what length they come in. Ritchey do them, but they're hard to get hold of. Some of the Specialized stems with the shim are 1.25", but not all, I'd be less confident of those.

Edit: see - most people worked it out, not really rocket science!
  • Tim-A
    Blimey, didn't mean to start an argument. And there's me thinking 1.25" was the new standard!

Didn't think of using a shim so will have a search for one of those. Would prefer to use the right size if possible though.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Good idea on the specialized stems - I take it you mean the ones with the adjuster shims?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's a Giant 'standard' - they're hoping others will adopt. I'd not hold your breath!
    Good idea on the specialized stems - I take it you mean the ones with the adjuster shims?

Yep, but as said not all of them, some say they work, some don't.