Fixing Bike tyres

schachnuss
schachnuss Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I got a pair of Bontrager all weather hard-case the other day and was excited to tests its durability, as my previous panracers keep giving me punctures...

But luck was not on my side, as somehow a nail stabbed through my new tyre after a week and gave me a puncture :(

So the situation is this

1) Punctured tubing, which seems quite bad and probably will replace it, and a small hole on the new tyre.

My question is, what should I do with the tyre, is there anyway to fix/ mend the hole, or should I leave it, or do I need to get a new one :( ??

Thank you very much.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    you could try and patch the inside of the tyre, and then put some superglue in the hole ?

It depends how big the hole is really - most punctures leave the tyres with plenty of life in them.
  • Does superglue work?

I don't want to hijack the post but I just logged in to ask exactly the same question. Just went out for a road ride and found a piece of glass in the tyre when I got back, it's left a 2mm hole in the (otherwise brand new Vittoria Zaffiro) tyre. Luckily didn't go all the way through. I usually just leave MTB tyres to their own devices after removing the offending sharp, can I do that on a road tyre? Sounds like a lame question now I write it down but I'm not used to running such high pressures.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Patching the inside works, although in my experiance the tyre tends to deform where the carcuss has been cut by the offending object, and also tends to lead to an increased chance of a puncture in the future.
  • Many thanks for all the advice and tips. mine was a long nail but not very wide, around 1mm, so I'm going to try and patch it up. just wondering what kind of patches should we use? just like normal inner tubing patching and super glue?
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Use a tyre boot. Park Tools include them in their more expensive puncture repair kits.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-emer ... oot-patch/
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    edited February 2012
    My daughter managed to put a huge woodscrew through her bike tyre, and it left what I would term a large hole in the carcass. I patched it on the inside with some high-quality theatrical gaffer tape (not the B&Q rubbish), and it has held now for ages with no adverse effects. I would hate to throw away what is almost a new tyre just because of a small hole. It has to be worth trying a repair.
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • That is odd. I did this yesterday before reading this thread. and popped a patch on the inside as a guess.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Tyre boot.

I've previously used an ad-hoc patch (a disc out of a disposable tupperware type container) to cover a bad glass cut, c. 4mm long - right through, to draw out a few more weeks wear from a pair of commute tires. It worked okay, but because the high pressure requires a fairly stiff/tough patch it tends to leave a slight deformation on the outside. A conventional patch tends to bubble if the hole is >2mm.
  • Like someone said before - patch from the inside and a drop of super glue in the hole/split on the outside - jobs a good-un!