Fork packing down alarmingly

Dr_Tinkle
Dr_Tinkle Posts: 13
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Got some Tallas RLC forks adjustable from 4-6 inches. All set up procedures followed with sag and rebound corrctly set. they ride fine off road but within a minute or so of riding on the road they pack right down as if there is no air in them. I can pump the front wheel to make them return but then the same thing starts to happen again.Obviously if I lock the fork out all is fine but i shouldn't need to do this for every flat piece of trail.

I have experimented with the rebound and the speed of compression settings but short of effectively 'turning the fork off', nothing seems to work.

Any ideas

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    packing down is too much rebound.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Turn it towards the rabbit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't know what's actually causing this but so far it sounds nothing like too much rebound.

OP> Does this only happen on the road? Do they pack down all the way to zero travel or just a bit?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Tortoise/Hare only on RS forks surely...?

Agree with NW this doesn't really sound like that, notably the 'pumping to get them back' again. Serviced them recently?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    then there is not enough spring.

or you have something in the oil that is blocking the valves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    njee20 wrote:

Tortoise/Hare only on RS forks surely...?

Agree with NW this doesn't really sound like that, notably the 'pumping to get them back' again. Serviced them recently?
    RS yes - must concentrate harder.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hmm . . .Thanks for all replies. . . much to consider. They are a year and a half old so perhaps they do need a service. . .I feel some garage time coming on. . . Wife will be pleased!

Just for reference Northwind, they seem fine on normal trail, presumably the constant weight shifting acts like me pumping on the road. it only seems to happen on very smooth trails and road sections.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Or the TALAS is fecked and leaking air formone chamber to another.
  • A friend had a problem like that with some bionicon air forks.
    I rode it: on the flat it wasn't noticeable but down hill it packed down really bad.

It was fixed with a replacement cartridge for the internals, unfortunately I can't remember what task the cartridge performed.