First sportive advice appreciated?

craig1664
craig1664 Posts: 3
Have been road riding for about a year on & off, though mainly for pleasure / general fitness rather than racing.

Just signed up for my first sportives - Longleat 100 miler and day 2 & 3 of the ToW.....Principally because they are very local. Now wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew? Particularly with the ToW, never done a 100 miler let alone 2 back to back.

My training has mainly consisted of turboing since Xmas, generally 3x1hr sessions (mixture of interval and endurance sessions) in the week and a 2hr session at the weekend. Now looking to put in some longer distances at the weekend, initially 50-60 milers working up to 80-90.

I wondered if anyone who has completed either / both could give me any advice about what to expect on either of the 2 sportives? Any info (what to expect on the day / nutrition / training etc etc) would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Are you my secret long lost twin??!!

I've just signed up for the exact same two rides, except I'm doing all three days of the TOW. Since I've done no sportives since I started riding I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I desperately needed the kick up my arse to train properly for something.

All I've really done is lots of spinning at the gym and started doing at least 50 miles every weekend. I have had a good look at all the elevation profiles for each of the rides I'm doing which I'm hoping will give me an idea of when to fuel up.

I'm sure someone experienced will be along soon as my advice really hasn't got much backing to it lol.

Good luck for all of them anyway
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Should be fine as long as you start getting those longer rides in, getting used to spending that amount of time on the bike is important (going from a 2 hour turbo to 6 hour road sportive is night and day). You seem to have good discipline when it comes to training though so I wouldn't worry. I tend to find as long as I can do about 75% of the distance in training then I'm fine for the event, any less and you risk cramping towards the end. Bear in mind a lot of sportives try and throw in lots of hills so don't do all your prep on flat roads.
    Other than that it's really just a case of getting your nutrition and pacing right and make sure you have a recovery drink straight after the 1st ride on your 2-day event.
  • get some long rides in them legs, and when you ride your first sportives dont panic when they all start and tear off up the road like its a sprint, u will see many of them later sitting in the gutter bonked, think of your first sportives as the Hare and the Tortoise, enjoy yourself, eat and drink lots during the ride - there is always someone slower than you..
  • I tend to agree that if you can do 75 miles, doing 100 miles won't be a problem. The challenge you have is repeating it the next day. Don't underestimate how tought this can be. Also, the weather can have a huge part to play. From a relatively low base, I did my first 100 miles (well, 94miles) in 6 hours and wondered what the fuss was about. A few months, and much more training later, I all but died on a 100milers, which took 8 and a half hours. The difference was that for first one I had a tail wind most of the way. The second I had the wind and rain in my face the entire way. The next day I could barely move. And yes, better to be slow in the first half and fast in the second, than to fade and die after 75 miles. Good luck!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Work out a good training plan but don't fret too much if you are feeling a bit low at some point and want a few days off. Something like this will give you a framework but I am sure you can work out something that suits you yourself.

There is no shortcut to learning when you need to eat/drink and this can be a personal thing (also, learning what to eat or avoid can make a big difference) so just get out and enjoy riding your bike and it will fall into place, providing you have enough time and don't do too much (a pulled thigh muscle or tightened hamstring can blow any timetable so listen to your body if any pain is sharp).

Prior to the first sportive, as others have said, you should be up near 75% of the distance in one ride. You will also need to learn recovery as doing a back to back will really test your mettle. Hence, at some point try and do 2 back to back rides, e.g., 60 milers. After the first one, get some early recovery food/liquid/shake in (pint or 2 of milk for me), a light massage (you can do self massage of your thighs which can help), some decent stretching and then a decent meal that is a mix of carb and protein. The next day use the first 10 miles as a recovery, simple spinning in a low gear until you feel like blasting for the remainder. However, at the end of either of the rides just try and keep your cadence reasonably high (80ish) and don't be afraid to drop gears as needs be.

Finally, don't overlook tapering. I am particularly rubbish at this but I do feel a massive difference when I get it right.

Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy it.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Just remember it is NOT a race, take it steady, take back up gels or whatever, drink plenty and make use of food stations. Taking it easy first half will pay dividends later :). Make sure you have adequate wind / water proof too !
    Particularly on your back to back 100s make day 1 easier for yourself than you could go
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    JamesB wrote:
    Just remember it is NOT a race, take it steady, take back up gels or whatever, drink plenty and make use of food stations. Taking it easy first half will pay dividends later :). Make sure you have adequate wind / water proof too !
    Particularly on your back to back 100s make day 1 easier for yourself than you could go

This is spot-on. I'm no sort of cyclist, but following similar advice for my first sportive, I got round with fuel to spare. Pacing is not normally my forte, but I actually did the second half of it quicker than the first.

My only piece of advice is to smile and enjoy it whenever you can. There will be some times when you're chewing the handlebars, but there will be some moments which are sheer magic. Good luck!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Many thanks for the positive replies. I really appreciate your constructive advice.

Did a 50 miler last Friday afternoon - bit of a disaster really. Had a little crash and nutrition went pear shaped, so last 5 miles were very slow! Should have read the advice before I left!!!
    Still its left me wanting more which must be a good thing, though highlighted the need to get the miles in the legs.

dirtymonkey1985
    Its a small world!
    If we are twins I must have the De Vito genes....

Wishing you the best of luck too. Hope your training is going better than mine?
    Just out of interest, what food are you doing? and when are you eating it?

Cheers
  • I'm taking a few cereal bars and some isotonic drink.
    I've found having a bar every hour after the first 2 or so seems to work for me and the isotonic drink really has helped with my legs cramping up. After each ride I've also been drinking a pint of milk and a banana for the recovery.

Next time you do a 50+ just fill your back pockets with bits and bobs, i never thought isotonic drinks did much but since swapping from water my legs have felt much fresher. One of my mates swears by mars bars and I think he got through 4 on the last ride. It's just what you feel works best for you.

What sort of pace are you trying to maintain?
    Hope your next training ride goes better than the last.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mmm, not convinced about the mars bars. As soon as it gets warmer (or the rider gets sweaty) they will end up a sticky mess and because they are high in sugar related carbs then the benefit will be a sugar rush followed by a big low. Far better to take a mix of foods like a banana, a flapjack or 2, some maltloaf, etc., that will keep your energy up at a more even level. A caffeine gel also works well when you really need it about 2/3 in, feeling a bit low and are about 15 mins from facing a big brute of a climb.

As per links/threads, aim for ~60g of carb per hour after the first 90 mins or so if you are working hard. Bananas are about 20-25g of carb, cereal bars are about 25-30g for reference.
  • I have mentioned to him it's not the best choice but he's convinced. He even reckons they're better when it's warm as he takes a corner off the packaging and sucks them like a gel bar!!
    Horses for courses I guess.

I've heard very good things about fig rolls as well. May have to give them a go on my next training ride