Boycott the Endura Lionheart?

goosey
goosey Posts: 103
Seems the Longleat Estate welcomes cyclists, only when they can squeeze some money out of them:

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/headlines/9511840.Dog_walkers_and_cyclists_angered_by_Longleat_ban/

Would any cyclist want to ride this event when the estate carries like this? I'll certainly be emailing the organisers for an explanation and telling them that if the estate doesn't change it's attitude pdq, then I won't be giving them my £28.
Maybe you'd like to do the same. :wink:

Comments

• I never even knew you could cycle through the estate. I've always gone round anyway as I knew it was private property so it would be questionable to do so.
    In all honesty I'd rather skirt around it as the lanes surrounding it are beautiful and relatively traffic free.

However I can see the locals point, if they have been using it as a cut through for many years then a sudden change of the rules must be slightly bewildering.
  • goosey
    goosey Posts: 103
    A quick repsonse from the organisers:

Thank you for your email.

It makes me sad too, it's a brilliant place and both my kids have learnt to ride their bikes at Longleat in the arboretum; safely and in amazing surroundings.

I have spoken with Longleat this morning and they have stated that all concerns and complaints should be directed to enquiries@longleat.co.uk
    I know that they are due to host a public meeting in Warminster in the very near future - date to be announced soon I believe.

Longleat are emphatic about cyclists and walkers still making use of their 8,000 acres throughout the estate, but cannot extend this freedom to include the area where their attractions are.

Spin Events do pay heavily for the privilege to host the Lionheart event in the grounds of Longleat, but I do understand your reluctance to join us.

Best regards
    Emma