what modem/router?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited February 2012 in The hub
Hello dearest all,
I'm looking at swapping out our cruddy virgin modem as it keeps dropping signal. Looking for something I can attach an external HDD for sharing movies and music around the home to our various places of hiding. But where on earth do I start? I know less than frak all about them.

Comments

• projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    The problem with the virgin modems is it connects via the tv unlike normal modems (unless they've changed them)

last time I looked they were only 4 options but somewhat expensive....

If you have a wireless N version (if they do one) it might be worth looking at some settings to improve the quality (don't ask me how though)
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • bluechair84
    Ours gets broadband from the telephone line. I never even knew that was possible until I moved in. It's only the wireless that drops out as the wired-in home computer never lost connection. Our local shop has said 80 pounds but doesn't have it in stock and can't remember what it's called, so I can't look it up and see if it's any good. Think I'll pass this question on to Overclockers as I've a GPU question as well :shock:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Something like a Netgear N600 is good for what you're after, attaches a hard drive via USB.

But if you're wanting to share stuff on a hard drive why not just network all the units in the house through the router instead of getting another hard drive?
  • bluechair84
    Briggo wrote:
    Something like a Netgear N600 is good for what you're after, attaches a hard drive via USB.

But if you're wanting to share stuff on a hard drive why not just network all the units in the house through the router instead of getting another hard drive?

I'll check out the N600, cheers. And the advantage to the router mounted HDD is the computer where the media is stored doesn't have to be turned on to access them. We often try to get to media on the HTPC from the laptops, but the HTPC has to be on.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The problem with the virgin modems is it connects via the tv unlike normal modems (unless they've changed them)
    If it's cable broadband, it's not changed. Basically takes the same coax cable as goes to the TV. With the exception of the very few lucky people on true fibre to home (certain bits of London I think?), and they'd have a special modem for that.

In this case I'd assume then they are on ADSL with Virgin. In which case any ADSL router will do, in this case a wireless one seems to be required.

Whether it will not drop out is another matter. Wireless is finicky and can drop out for all kinds of reasons.

With your existing router, just changing the channel on the router may help especially if there are a lot of conflicts with neighbours, or replace the antenna if it's replaceable with something bigger/better, place the router in a central location in the house. Could even be the devices are the problem not the router. Even turning on the microwave can drop some wifi (it's in the same range)!

Alternate option is to get a separate Wireless Access Point. That connects to your router with an ethernet cable and you run the cable to a convenient central location in the house and use that as your wifi. Turn off the wireless in the router then. If you still want a router, you could get a non-wireless router and a Wireless Access Point. Getting more complex you can use both the router and WAP with one as a repeater, but gets fiddly at this point.

Reason I find this is better is because you want the router as close to the phone socket as possible with a short run of phone cable to ensure a good broadband connection, but phone sockets are often in the corner of a house which is bad for wireless signals.

As for the external HDD, you don't need a special router, you just need to look for a NAS. These just take a hard disc or several and are network storage. Just plug it in to the network somewhere (some can even be wireless), and off you go.
  • bluechair84
    Hmm, all good info. I'll try change the modem to a different channel and see if that helps our stability. No worries about a conflicting microwave, we don't have one ;) House is small enough that range shouldn't be an issue. I'll look into a new router/modem with NAS usb support if I can't solve the drop-out.
  • Anonymous
    As I say, don't need a router that supports the NAS, or a USB connection. Just get a NAS. They'll be either ethernet or wireless, or both.

A USB connected drive is more likely to be sluggish and unstable, especially for streaming.

Hard to suggest a good NAS as there are so many and the reviews (and quality) varies a lot. The best are Qnap and Synology, but they're very expensive. Cheap ones from the likes of WD, Seagate, etc, all plug into the network or are wireless and just a little more than the price of the hard disc they include (usually 1 or 2TB), but reviews vary a lot.
  • bluechair84
    Hmm, ok. Our router doens't support NAS so once I'd bought a new one I could either go down the USB route or NAS route. However, all our music and movies will be located there so if it can't steadily stream them it wouldn't be fulfilling its reason-d-etre...
  • Anonymous
    What I've got is a Synology NAS. Pricey one as it's a DS-411+II which is a beefy server kind of NAS and I put 4 1TB discs in it!! :D. But you can get much cheaper and simpler things.

Didn't do anything special with the router and didn't need a special router. Just connected the NAS to the router with an Ethernet cable. Sits in the hallway. Anything on the network then can stream from the NAS.
  • bluechair84
    ah I see... The router doesn't have to be regarded as NAS complient, the NAS drive does all the networking itself and just plugs to the ethernet ports... It's certainly a better option then!