sick of 29 ers

legin
legin Posts: 132
i recently cancelled my subscription to a mtb mag due to the massive hype with big wheels.the vast majority of my riding mates 80% are very happy with their 26 inch wheels.
are we going to be inundated and brainwashed till we all convert like we were with 10 speed.
its all very tedious and boring and i think if you did a survey you would find the majority of riders feel the same.

Comments

• Not sure the magazine is relevant, I'm afraid that he's right. The whole drive towards big wheels, led by the manufacturers who need to create some products to sell rather than just leave us happy on our existing 26" wheeled bikes, is just becoming really tedious.

I know what they're supposed to offer. I've now ridden a few. They don't suit me or my riding, they do suit others. They're just another choice, NOT the nirvana that the media is making them out to be.

Now, about those 650b.............
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Of course the magazine is relevant, this is what the post is about! However I'm not sure all magazines are saying they are the nirvana. It would be foolish to overlook them though. If the OPs stat of 1 in 5 is correct, then can we expect 20% of bike tests to be on 29ers? That is 2 or 3 issues a year with full testing devoted to them. Since they came out a few years ago I bet the figure is way less, and any increase in column inches relates to more models hitting the market, and trying to explain what they are to the public. The same happened with front sus, then rear sus, disc brakes and so on. They are not always better though, and not all readers have knowledge of some of the posters here.

There are pros and cons, is up to the rider to decide - in this sense I agree are different, not overall 'better'.