3 bikes, which one do I buy?

scrumpymonkey
scrumpymonkey Posts: 49
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Whyte Cambridge, Charge Zester or Kona Dr Dew. Going to be commuting about 16 miles a day, will be fitting panniers but also want to be able to use the bike for general fitness training and probably a couple of weekend tours this year. Any advice greatly received and any other recommendations you may have :D

Comments

• I would advise the most road-orientated one of the lot. I had a Kona Dew plus, and have just sold and gone for a road bike. It was just too sluggish, and MTBish/beefy for frequent road use. A quick glance at those bike's photos - i'd say charge, then cambrigde, then kona.

Hope that helps
  • if you're planning on using the bike for touring and commuting have a lok at a Kona Sutra
    I love mine - not the lightest, not the fastest but I love it to bits
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • Cheers for the responses, just looking at the cycle to work scheme. Might have to use that extra £100 in the allowance!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    definitely get one with drop handle-bars if you're planning on doing some tours on it.

most people end up regretting their flat-bar purchase after a few months and then buying a drop-bar bike. I know I did. It doesnt have to be super-racy. The Kona Sutra is a perfect option as mentioned above.
  • definitely get one with drop handle-bars if you're planning on doing some tours on it.

most people end up regretting their flat-bar purchase after a few months and then buying a drop-bar bike. I know I did. It doesnt have to be super-racy.

+1 to that!! I've got a genesis aether 20 that I got cheap off ebay - not super racy, but more than capable
  • Thanks for that guys, but can't ride a drop handlebar bike coz I've got a hip problem that means I need to sit a bit more upright.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    i dont have one but alot of people rave about this:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPALF ... ine_alfine