which commuting bike? (has to be black)

baydreamer
baydreamer Posts: 5
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Hi there.I'm looking to join the company CTW scheme by cyclesolutions, but cant decide for the life of me what to choose?
The commute is only just over 2 miles each way and on "fairly flat" tarmac roads.
Currently have old mountain bike which seems a bit heavy.
Looking for a BLACK bike(for looks and so as to not show the dirt too much).
Have looked at Road bikes and Hybrid's but cant decide on which?
Current favourites in mind are the Giant Seek 1 2012...or Cannondale caad 8...or Specialized Allez...or Cannondale Quick...or Felt Z85...or Giant TCX 2...or Giant Roam XR...
...or any other suggestions please...?

Help!!!!!!

(have rode both road bikes and mountain bikes, so not put off road or hybrids)
Regards...
p.s. was looking at putting panniers on rear, also like rapid smooth gear changes...

Comments

• Quite a list there you could possibly add Boardman too?

Such a short distance & on a none hilly route your unlikely to find much of a difference between a road or hybrid. Obvious difference being the position you sit as a roadie will be much more sporty and aggressive in how you sit as opposed to a sit up and beg style of the hybrid.

You could try putting road tyres onto your mountain bike which will reduce the rolling resistance and make it a more viable option.

If you do want a new bike as the CTW scheme does make the new bike deal a lot better then suggest you go and try some of them out as thats the best way to find out what the bikes feel like, when you find one that does what you want and you like the way it rides then thats the one for you
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have a black MTB I use for cold weather commutes. It's a terrible colour for that purpose. It does hide the dirt to a degree but it is hard to keep properly clean (partly down to the matt finish, partly down to it not being so easy to see what is clean and what isn't) - it discourages you from cleaning it often enough which you need to do to keep wear and tear on the drive train to a minimum. I'm hoping for a repaint - if so, I think it will be orange next!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Current MTB is about "had it" !
    Not all gears work, needs new tyres, new brakes, has odd components on it and think bearings are going too!?
    Want something lightweight and quick, but will have to be able to accomodate panniers...
    Rapid easy gear shifting is a must!
    Also needs to be under £1000...
  • Another "no" vote for black. My Pinnacle CX is matt black and really shows the dirt. If that doesn't bother you then fine (and when clean it does look cool). Or you can ride it all grubby like a hooligan bike - also cool 8) .
    The Pinnacle CX are pretty good bikes BTW. Will fit guards, racks etc for commuting.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • 2 miles? I think you'll get that down to less than 10 minutes in no time!
  • Joffff
    Joffff Posts: 26
    It's probably not what you want to hear (as if you're like me, you'll have sold yourself on the idea of a new bike ;) ) but a full service at a local bike shop would work wonders for your current ride. I took my wifes MTB in for a service and I couldn't believe how nicely it rode afterwards.
  • any bike and some black spray paint
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • This is what I went for. Haven't regretted it for a second.

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/voyage