Frame & BB compatibility?

hoots
hoots Posts: 134
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking into getting a bike that has a SRAM X5 3x10 drivetrain. Price of the bike and rest of components is good, but if possible I'd like to upgrade the drivetrain to Shimano SLX (because I prefer to have indicator windows on the shifters on 3x9 or 3x10's).

I'm trying to find out whether it's possible to replace the X5 crankset & pressfit GXP BB with an SLX Hollowtech II crankset & BB. I guess the main problem is that the bottom bracket tube on the bike won't have threads and/or the cups will be a different diameter to the standard Shimano BB.

Does anyone know if this pressfit GXP to HTII conversion is feasible?

TIA

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i dont think you can do it that way gxp to ht 2.. i never seen it...

you can convert hope and chris king bb to gxp...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    delcol wrote:
    i dont think you can do it that way gxp to ht 2.. i never seen it...

you can convert hope and chris king bb to gxp...
    it is a Press fit titting he is asking about.

IIRC the press fits are interchangeable in the frame (not BB30 though).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
    missunderstood him thought he was wanting to convert a gxp to ht2.... :oops: :oops:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You want to spend all that money and effort changing it just to get shifter windows, something you don't actually need?
  • hoots
    You want to spend all that money and effort changing it just to get shifter windows, something you don't actually need?

Well, horses for courses I guess. I know I don't need shifter windows, and I don't have 'em on my 2x10 geared bike (where there's not really any issue with big ring to big cog etc). However, as I said previously I do prefer them on 3x9/10's.

My plan is either to strip the X5 drivetrain off before I use the bike, and try and sell it on here/STW - or run the X5 stuff into the ground, then replace with SLX or XT drivetrain set from Merlin. Obviously, if I can also shed some drivetrain weight by upgrading that'll be good!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    hoots wrote:

Well, horses for courses I guess. I know I don't need shifter windows, and I don't have 'em on my 2x10 geared bike (where there's not really any issue with big ring to big cog etc). However, as I said previously I do prefer them on 3x9/10's.

My plan is either to strip the X5 drivetrain off before I use the bike, and try and sell it on here/STW - or run the X5 stuff into the ground, then replace with SLX or XT drivetrain set from Merlin. Obviously, if I can also shed some drivetrain weight by upgrading that'll be good!

Take the windows of the shifters, gram's saved :P
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • hoots
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Take the windows of the shifters, gram's saved :P

or I could just go through my backpack and chuck out some of the old tat that I cart around everywhere :wink: (found a couple of fossilized 'nana skins in there a couple of days ago)