Commuting kit weight

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
I happened to weigh myself this morning whilst wearing full commuting kit, loaded bag and D-lock. In other words with all the clobber I commute with every day. Turns out there's 11 kg of the stuff. How much weight are other people carting about?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I happened to weigh myself this morning whilst wearing full commuting kit, loaded bag and D-lock. In other words with all the clobber I commute with every day. Turns out there's 11 kg of the stuff. How much weight are other people carting about?

Cancellara just before Harelbeke last year was weighed fully kitted out, and he topped out the scales at 92kg, which is a good 10-12 kilos lighter than his official weight. Given he was pretty near top form, you can safely say that winter kit + shoes, helmet, food in pockets etc was what made the difference.

http://www.bodegasmasalta.com/files/cms ... eegt...pdf
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'm carting about 2 stone of blubber about my person, entirely involuntary. I ride naked to compensate.
  • CiB wrote:
    I'm carting about 2 stone of blubber about my person, entirely involuntary. I ride naked to compensate.

Do you also have a fetish for keirans seals?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I shudder to think how much the stuff in my panniers weighs. We have nasty wheelbender racks at work that are elevated by about 20cm*. Some mornings I can barely lift the back wheel into them :)

Still, my commute is short and pretty flat so I don't worry about it.

PP

* a bit like this http://www.shelters4less.co.uk/system/cache/traffic-line-hoop-bike-rack_cms_site_products_images_293-1-832_300_300_False.jpg
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Whoa Carbon Wheels!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Generally - about 5KG in my courier bag, unless I have my laptop and then I go up to about 10kg....

Gets painful at around 10 miles, but I soldier on like a true hero.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hmmm. Varies depending on the amount of paperwork in the bag.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    A full set of books, jumper, shirt, water (because there is no drinking water in my section), tools, spare tube etc. I reckon that is getting on for 15kgs. This is why I have to run 32mm Marathon plus tyres and use heavyweight touring wheels!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:

Do you also have a fetish for keirans seals?
    Depends where personal preference oversteps the mark to become a fetish I suppose. :)

Clothes are the biggest additional weight IME. All I carry is a couple of sandwiches & a bit of fruit + phone, door pass & small bunch of keys, and half a bottle of squash in the bottle holder. A base layer, warm-enough top, leggings, overshoes & full gloves adds to the total. And the two pairs of lights front & back. When we had that mild weather back in Jan I went out with no lights, shorts & single layer top + mitts and the bike felt like a lightweight carbon racer, which it is for 8 months of the year & at this time of year, that's the incentive & the motivation. It won't always be this bad, cold grey dank gloomy weather every morning & night.
  • Yeah - definitely heavier in the winter since even light-weight waterproofs add something - and heavier clothes/shoes than summer - plus a spare light/batteries as well as usual repair stuff and it just adds up. A couple of times a week, I add some gym kit which burdens it even more - and I've got a few stairs when I get home just to lug the bike up. I took the road bike out a few weeks ago to the gym one Saturday and woah... I'd forgotten how lovely and free it was!
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Keep most of my clothes and office bits at work. Commuting rucksack weighs in at 2.5kg this morning, though will be lighter on the way home as I will have eaten my lunch by then.
    Small saddle bag on bike always carried for essential repairs - spare tube, levers and multi-tool but that doesn't add up to much.
    Still feels like I've forgotten something when I head out on weekend rides without it though.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    When I do the weekly shop I carry a 30kg rucksack of food up Lewisham Way (on top of my weight, 80kg, so a total of 110kg)
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • On the scales this morning unencumbered 67.9kg, fully loaded, ready to roll, 75.1kg, so 7.2kg the bulk of which is toolkit/clothes/tablet.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913

cant help but notice you said you weighed yourself and all your kit and it came to 11KG? either you are about 6 inches tall or you might need to eat a bit more :lol:
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Chris Bass wrote:

cant help but notice you said you weighed yourself and all your kit and it came to 11KG? either you are about 6 inches tall or you might need to eat a bit more :lol:

No I didn't. I said that there's 11kg of clobber... :wink:
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    No I didn't. I said that there's 11kg of clobber... :wink:

tbh he aint that porky though. Not quite slimjimmcgingethin but certain barmaids certainly thought he was the right shape... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I leave as much at work as possible. D Lock is locked to the bike rack, shower gel/shampoo/hair wax etc and shoes in my drawer, and I hang my towel and trousers up on one of the coat racks that we've got. I probably carry about 1kg of stuff after that.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Most days I carry very little, clean shirt/socks/underwear, D-lock, pump and sandwiches. I try to leave the laptop in work (thankyou smartphone). Tools/p* kit lives in the little seat pack, the rest fits in a 15l rucsack which can't weigh more than 1-2 kg.

That said, I'm looking for a new, bigger rucksack so will have to be disciplined so that I don't end up carrying loads of crap I don't need.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Joffff
    Joffff Posts: 26
    Sometimes I scarily manage to fill two panniers but I'm also on the chunky side so go by the principle that if there was every any weight saving to be had it should be off me before the bike! :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Also worth considering the aero effects of your commuting kit....

I went to Cannock Chase the other day, on the drive there, heading into Cannock I saw a flash of neon yellow up ahead. "Cyclist" I thought, so backed off from the car in front and got ready to overtake him/her.

As I got closer I saw a flourescent parachute jacket billowing away, but as I passed the rider, I noticed he was on what looked like a Planet X Stealth carbon TT bike.....I wonder how much extra money he spend to get that? Granted, an aero bike with an parachute jacket is marginally quicker than a 'non-aero' bike with a parachute jacket, but if you're going to spend hundreds of pounds more than a normal road bike to get aero benefits you'd surely make the effort to buy a jacket that's not 4 sizes too big! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nekkid the commuter is about 8kg's. Lights and rack tip it to 9kg and a bit. Fully loaded pannier (with locks) and full civvy clothing (if on another site) probably tip the total weight over 30kg's. My poor bike ! :shock:
  • have a SS road bike, by time paniers/mudguards etc. it's 34lb or 15KG before I stick anything else in.

a fairly normal load would be 7lb/3KG so around the 40lb mark (18KG) with the odd much higher loads, which make for very slow pulling away from the lights!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I don't carry much at all most days. Just a tube, tiny repair kit, minitool, CO2, tyre levers that all go into a freezer bag which fits into my jersey pocket. Wallet/ID, Keys and Phone fit in my other jersey pockets. Bit of a bump under my jacket but its more comfy than a rucksack/courier bag, which I only really need if I need to take work to/from home.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Cancellara just before Harelbeke last year was weighed fully kitted out, and he topped out the scales at 92kg, which is a good 10-12 kilos lighter than his official weight. Given he was pretty near top form, you can safely say that winter kit + shoes, helmet, food in pockets etc was what made the difference.

http://www.bodegasmasalta.com/files/cms ... eegt...pdf

Rick, you mean he was 10-12kg heavier, right, with all the winter kit? Otherwise Cancellara's race weight is ~100kg and that would make him the chunkiest pro-cyclist I'm aware of!

:)

But yeh, winter and commuting kit is like a training aid.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • i weighed myself this morning - around 4kgs of clothing (im cold in the morning and takes me ages to warm up...) and about an 8kg backpack... :shock:

is there an fcn modifier for riding naked? -5 ?
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Did some weighing today and was quite surprised :

Kona Jake: 15Kgs with lights, racks and bottle.

Kona Jake as ridden in daily with panniers, books, laptop etc. 25kgs!

Im about 2 mph slower on the Jake compared to the Ribble.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Digital scales purchased, I see a dangerous spree of weight saving shopping in my future.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I've taken to making Monday Cargo Day basically upto a weeks worth of food. The rest of the week I don't need a backpack and I can keep the bike in work so have no need of a heavy duty lock. So not much more than me and the bike.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.