Canyon AM 6.0 - Should I've upgraded ?

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

I've just taken delivery of my Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 and although I haven't ridden it yet (waiting for Canbyon to send out the shock pump they forgot to put in the box) I'm already questioning myself as to if I should have got the 7 instead.

Main concern is that the forks on the 6.0 are Fox Talas 32 RL and I didn't realise these are the non FIT version. How much of a difference/improvement is the FIT and would it have been worth the extra £250 to get these ?

Also the forks don't have any Low Compression adjustment so wouldn't this make them Talas 32 R (ie without the 'L') or is that not how Fox model numbers work

Thanks

Jim
ps I mainly ride Surrey Hills type stuff but am planning a few trips to Wales etc this year hence going for the AM over the XC
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    No the L stands for lockout, C stands for compression adjustment (strangely enough), so RL - rebound + lockout.

I had my open bath RL's upgraded by Mojo to RLC's with FIT dampner and have to say it was a noticeable difference, however I just fancied getting it done, the open bath RL's were up to the job and done me proud for the 2 years I had them.

The extra £250 isn't just for the forks though is it, theres other parts which are upgraded within that price, I'd rcommend going with the maximum you can afford to save having thoughts like this at a later date as its generally cheaper to buy a ready made bike than upgrade it later, especially from the likes of Canyon.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I think Canyon have a 30 right to return policy although I don't know what the cost implications are but at worst I'd imagine it would cost you their £50ish shipping costs. Contact them at the link below to see what they say.

https://www.canyon.com/_uk/about_us/contact.html

FWIW I'd get the AM 7 over the AM 6 but then I've already planning on grabbing one in the end of year sale...wife permitting.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    As has been said the extra money is not just for the forks, canyons are such a good deal you are better off getting the best one you can at the time rather than spend on it afterwards...I would go for the 8+ to get a reverb though.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    JimboM wrote:
    Hi guys

I've just taken delivery of my Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 and although I haven't ridden it yet (waiting for Canbyon to send out the shock pump they forgot to put in the box) I'm already questioning myself as to if I should have got the 7 instead.

Main concern is that the forks on the 6.0 are Fox Talas 32 RL and I didn't realise these are the non FIT version. How much of a difference/improvement is the FIT and would it have been worth the extra £250 to get these ?

Also the forks don't have any Low Compression adjustment so wouldn't this make them Talas 32 R (ie without the 'L') or is that not how Fox model numbers work
    dont forget, there evolution (fox's new for this year budget model) forks on the AM6 and the performance series on the AM7, plus a better drivetrain
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chez_m356
    Neal_ wrote:
    FWIW I'd get the AM 7 over the AM 6 but then I've already planning on grabbing one in the end of year sale...wife permitting.
    if your lucky, keep a very sharp eye on them, i'd been eyeing the 2011 AM 6 for age's, had been looking at it everyday, then on a friday,think it must have been the day they went on sale, i didn't look till about tea time, tried to ring cullen, because wasn't sure about payment options, they had just closed, so i took a chance and ordered online, later that night they were showing sold out,had to wait till the monday to find out if i had one or not, very 'nerve' racking i tell you :lol:
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    As has been said the extra money is not just for the forks, canyons are such a good deal you are better off getting the best one you can at the time rather than spend on it afterwards...I would go for the 8+ to get a reverb though.

Canyon has an offer on at the moment where you can add a Reverb to certain bikes for an extra £168.35 once you've added the bike to the basket, the Nerve AM 7 & 6 are both included in this offer.
    chez_m356 wrote:
    if your lucky, keep a very sharp eye on them, i'd been eyeing the 2011 AM 6 for age's, had been looking at it everyday, then on a friday,think it must have been the day they went on sale, i didn't look till about tea time, tried to ring cullen, because wasn't sure about payment options, they had just closed, so i took a chance and ordered online, later that night they were showing sold out,had to wait till the monday to find out if i had one or not, very 'nerve' racking i tell you :lol:

You need to get on their email list, I was informed about last years sale and had access to ordering the bikes a day or two before it went public. Can you tell I want a Canyon :lol:
  • chez_m356
    Neal_ wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:

You need to get on their email list, I was informed about last years sale and had access to ordering the bikes a day or two before it went public. Can you tell I want a Canyon :lol:
    i am now, but still, it all worked out ok,think i did alright in the end, especially with the full X9 drive train and RL FIT forks on the 2011 AM 6, which was exactly what i wanted :D