A single aero-wheel?!

pcandyhk
pcandyhk Posts: 40
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Saw a few old forum posts saying an aero front wheel would actually be more benefital, (though bad under strong side-wind).
But in real life we dont see much people using one single aero-wheel, or do we?

I am tempting to try out some of the aero-wheel with limited budget, is it a better idea to get ONE BETTER aero-wheel? (Fr? Rr?) or a CHEAP aero-wheel-set?

I don'y really have a set amount, but looking for some entry Good valued aero-wheel?! May be Planet X?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whilst it looks odd, an aero front wheel will deliver the biggest benefit because it is in smooth airflow whereas the impact of an aero rear is more marginal.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The reason the front wheel is more important is that it cuts through clean air. The air the rear wheel is passing through has already been displaced by your bike and churned up by passing between your bike and legs etc (I'm not an engineer so that's just my understanding).

I think the main reason you don't see many bikes with just an aero front wheel is fashion. Yes it would work but it really does look strange.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The reason you don't is that aero wheels on the front make steering more difficult.
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    I am pretty sure that the biggest issue is stability from side winds.

If you are riding along it is MUCH easier to cope with a knock to the rear of the bike (where the wheel is fixed) than the front (where the wheel can rotate about the axis of the steerer tube). Also consider if you have ever locked the front wheel (pretty scary) and rear wheel (not scary just a wste of rubber) this, I think, is largely due to weight distribution across the bike.

Tim
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The reason you don't is that aero wheels on the front make steering more difficult.

Eh? You see plenty of aero front wheels. They usually match the aero rear wheel. Maybe you're thinking of a full disc?
    More problems but still living....
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    amaferanga wrote:

Eh? You see plenty of aero front wheels. They usually match the aero rear wheel. Maybe you're thinking of a full disc?

He's talking up JUST having a front aero wheel which is comparatively unusual except amongst the hipster crowd or for the budget conscious TTer.

Unless it's TTs you're doing I really wouldn't bother. Supposedly having an deep wheel on the rear actually improves stability but offers only a small aero gain. Having just an aero front is the worst handling combination. I'd either get a full wheelset or not bother - if you're after aero gains work on your position.
  • Ok, Thanks guys! So using a pair is not just fashion but actually balance the bike better!

I am looking at this...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... els-31023/

The planet X wheelset is regarded as "some twang and flex into the wheels if you really work them hard, and aerodynamics and wind behaviour are only average.", yet got 4 stars.
    But whats the point of getting an aero-wheel with low aerodynamic improvement??
    I suppose I would be better off to spend some more at such as RS80 C50? or the Planet X is still good value for money?