Hope hubs

Sam J
Sam J Posts: 35
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello again guys. On the last couple of rides I've been on I've noticed a squeaking coming from my front wheel. I suspect its the bearings in the hub that probably need changing, or could it be something else ? I bought the bike off eBay about 5 months ago and it is possible that the bearings could be getting on for 9 years old. I've also noticed that other Hope rear / free hubs are quite noisy , with a loud ratchet sound , yet mine isn't like this at all. I'm guessing that some pawls might need replacing but hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this?

Thanks, Sam.

Ps, they are pro 2 hubs.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dirt between the adaptors and hub body. If it is not The brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If the bearings are 9 years old, then they're not pro 2s, as they've only been out since 2008(?). You may have bulbs or XC hubs. The noise varies from hub to hub depending on the carrier material, and some people (like me) add a little grease to the pawls to shut them up. This may well be the case. I would suggest you clean the front as nicklouse suggests, and don't worry about the rear unless the freehub starts slipping.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Sam J
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will do as you say and see if there's an improvement. They are definitely pro 2s as it says on the hub. I just assumed that with most of the other components being, original spec that they were too, lol. I was only 5 years out :oops:

I'll leave the free hub for now as like you say, if its not broken then don't fix it.

Thanks again, Sam.
  • Sam J
    Well, I've cleaned my front hub and also cleaned and regreased the bearings, one of them had seized up or was at least very stiff to turn by hand. I got them spinning freely and smooth but still have squeaking ! Is it now a case of new bearings or could it be coming from elsewhere?

Either way it is very annoying. :evil:
  • benpinnick
    Is it disc braked? If so check for disc rubbing. if its defo the hub, then its new bearing time!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Sam J
    I'm pretty certain its not the brakes as I can't see or hear any contact with the pads. I've ordered some new bearings for the front hub, so hopefully that will sort it. Although the current bearings are running free they aren't very quiet. If I just spin the wheel they make a sort of low grumbly noise, if that makes sense ? The frustrating thing is that the squeaking only occurs when I'm riding. Perhaps my weight on them adds enough friction for them to squeak ?

The only other possibility could be the pivot bearings ( its a sub 5 ) but I will do one thing at a time for now.
  • benpinnick
    If they grumble, they're knackered. Time for new ones.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.