Avid Elixir R - not spongy, but levers come back too far...

surrpaul
surrpaul Posts: 48
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

Tonight I fitted new pads to the front and rear of my Elixir R's. I've done this twice before and the brakes have felt (and worked) great. Tonight, after replacing the pads for new ones, the levers go back to where they did with the old, worn out pads.

Before I waste time on things that aren't relevant, I wondered if anyone could give me their pearls of wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So the levers are just as they should be?

Sorry I don't see the issue?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • No, they go back to where they did with the old worn out pads. They should only retract a small distance with new pads.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    surrpaul wrote:
    No, they go back to where they did with the old worn out pads. They should only retract a small distance with new pads.
    My elixirs always went back to the same point regardless of how much pad material there was, once they were bedded in. This sounds pretty normal.
  • nicklouse
    surrpaul wrote:
    No, they go back to where they did with the old worn out pads. They should only retract a small distance with new pads.
    Yes. That is normal. If you want them in another position adjust them.

The lever position should be constant over the whole life of the pads as they are self adjusting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • nicklouse
    386ka wrote:
    Sounds like a totally different issue to me. (or non issue).
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I agree that there is no issue here, they do self adjust and are consistent with worn out pads, and new pad. But I think that he wants to advance the pads to shorten the "consistent" deadband?

@surrpaul, see "Advancing pad position" near the end..
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product_docu ... -guide.pdf
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Thanks guys. Really appreciate your input. :)