Crest wheels

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I know the crest wheels are really for xc. But how much abuse would they take? If I could use them I could reduce weight of bike by half kilo.
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    common misconception with crests that, they may say "xc" on the website but in my experience they have been faultless on my Mojo HD, very tough, no dings or flat spots and they have been hammered over the last year. I'm fairly light though at around 11 and a half stone, if you are over 13/14 stone i would say flows or archs would be better
  • widge34
    I,m 12.5 stone. So might be ok then?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • waughie
    waughie Posts: 180
    I'm about 12.5 Stone and am currently using crest rims.

I run my back tyre pretty soft and the rim often hits rocks or roots and mine are still perfectly round, so I would highly recommend them!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I got advised by Just Ride Along that the Crests are more of an "All Mountain Lite" type of rim. (I know as if we didn't have enough of these marketing buzz words :roll: )

If you're light or have a smooth style then you should get away with giving the wheels a good battering.

If you're slightly heavy or a more rougher rider then they'll still be fine with trail centre antics and technical rocky single track stuff like in Wales and Lake district no problem.

They don't really need to be wrapped in bubble wrap and treated lightly.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, does depend a lot on the rider. They aren't so weak as to be a problem in themselves, but at the same time they're not so strong as to offer a huge amount of margin for error if you're a heavy or heavyhanded rider. Really good rims.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Very good rims, great strength to weight. But, if you intend to hammer trails (within their abilities), you might find their width limiting as they won't support larger tyres as well. If you are happy with your 2.3s (or whatever you ride with), you can't go far wrong for a proper mountain bike rim - which is the best way to describe them.
  • widge34
    Well the widest tyre I ride is a 2.35 high roller, and I believe these come up a bit narrow.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    widge34 wrote:
    Well the widest tyre I ride is a 2.35 high roller, and I believe these come up a bit narrow.

I run 2.3 Highrollers on my crests and they compliment each other very nicely. I've tried 2.5 highrollers but it just wasn't right (but the wheels handled the DH terrain nicely).
  • widge34
    widge34 wrote:

I run 2.3 Highrollers on my crests and they compliment each other very nicely. I've tried 2.5 highrollers but it just wasn't right (but the wheels handled the DH terrain nicely).

That's good to hear. Thanks.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Crests are probably stronger than you would think. i have managed to slightly buckle my front, but that was through falling off and alot of sideways force was put into the rim. even then it wasnt a huge 1 and the wheel could still clear the fork arch.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I am 14 stone and ride crests pretty hard.

They're great.