Which bike carrier for a carbon frame?

hoohaar
hoohaar Posts: 42
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
So I have managed to find some roof bars for my car, now I just need to purchase the bike carrier. Can anyone recommend a good one? Are the ones that fasten to the forks better than the frame clamps?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Dont skimp on one. Thule stuff is pretty much always great quality even if a little pricey. Shop around and you'll find a decent discount i'm sure.

Personally - i'd go for this one..

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/car-racks/product/review-thule-proride-591-car-rack-11-35074

maybe here - check the postage (or try ringing a Ford dealer??)
    http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/Thule_591_Bicycle_Carrier_Pro_Ride_591_-_1698518_F1698518-450?utm_nooverride=1&gclid=CKDk69elnq4CFQlpfAodnT7QLg
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    For a carbon frame I'd advise one that clamps the forks with the wheel off, not the down tube. The Carbon in the down tube may well be damaged by the clamping force, which it isn't designed to take. Plus the down tube clamp is almost guaranteed to rub off some paint.
  • Yes, I agree with the other posters. Get a fork mounted carrier made by Thule. These are guaranteed to be of the best quality and by holding the fork securely you run less risk of damage to the frame in other areas such as the down tube.
  • Cheers guys, have opted for the Thule Outride 561 fork carrier. Quite a bit more that I was expecting to pay (nearly £90), hopefully will be worth it.
  • Don't believe the hype about the downtube clamping carriers ... You would have to be using a ridiculously unnecessary force to cause any damage ...

If anyone on here can demonstrate through personal and proven experience tjen I might change my mind ... Until then it's just a daft idea people agree with with no thought or experience ... or a cheapo chinese frame ...
  • Wirral_paul
    Don't believe the hype about the downtube clamping carriers ... You would have to be using a ridiculously unnecessary force to cause any damage ...

If anyone on here can demonstrate through personal and proven experience tjen I might change my mind ... Until then it's just a daft idea people agree with with no thought or experience ... or a cheapo chinese frame ...

+1 to this. Never had a problem, seen a problem or heard of a problem with a quality (such as Thule) downtube mounting type clamp - the clamping pressure is very low - no more than you would quite happily put on a band-clamp fitment front derailleur. Interested to hear from anyone who has had a problem though.

OP - you wont have any issue with the 561 at all. As said by many - they're a quality bit of kit and will last years.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    When I was thinking about getting a roof mounted carrier for a carbon frame I found that about 50% of people claimed fork mounted clamping would wreck carbon frames and the other 50% claimed that downtube clamping would do the same. Don't recall anyone with actual experience of frames damaged by bike carriers though, other than muppets who'd driven into barriers with their bikes on the roof.

In the end I went for a Saris Grand Fondo but only because my car has a part glass roof.
    More problems but still living....
  • Wirral_paul
    amaferanga wrote:
    Don't recall anyone with actual experience of frames damaged by bike carriers though, other than muppets who'd driven into barriers with their bikes on the roof.

That reminds me of a cop van in Nottingham - one of those with the camera on a hydraulic pole that comes out of the roof. The dopey driver drove off with the camera extended and broke it off. Something like £20k of damage!! :lol::lol:
  • RedJohn
    My aluminium MTB is very scratched and worn where the down tube clamp has gripped it. I put my carbon frame in it once or twice, padded the tube before clamping, and still winced. I don't know if it was my imagination that the tube felt as though it was flexing. It came out looking fine though.

However ... having spent possibly thousands on a carbon frame bike, and buying a new carrier anyway, why take the chance of damage just to save the effort of taking off the front wheel? Some carbon frames (Argon 18, for example) come with a huge sticker on the top saying "ultra thin walled tubes, do not clamp". The fork dropouts are designed to take exactly that kind of clamping force. The down tube isn't.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Don't believe the hype about the downtube clamping carriers ... You would have to be using a ridiculously unnecessary force to cause any damage ...

+1 to this. Never had a problem, seen a problem or heard of a problem with a quality (such as Thule) downtube mounting type clamp - the clamping pressure is very low - no more than you would quite happily put on a band-clamp fitment front derailleur. Interested to hear from anyone who has had a problem though.

OP - you wont have any issue with the 561 at all. As said by many - they're a quality bit of kit and will last years.

+2. Never head a single account of the frame clamp type actually damaging a carbon tube, pure hype. And as for scratches to down tube, a simple rag around the tube prevents any marks. For ease of use you cannot beat it.
  • RedJohn

Yep. 'Cos it clamps the forks :lol:
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I've bought a Cube Agree carbon bike last year and I am a bit concerned about clamping it to my Thule 591 rack as the Cube manual says the frame shouldn't be clamped. However you see all these expensive carbon bikes clamped to the top of support cars in professional races, so that makes me think it must be okay?
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I've bought a Cube Agree carbon bike last year and I am a bit concerned about clamping it to my Thule 591 rack as the Cube manual says the frame shouldn't be clamped. However you see all these expensive carbon bikes clamped to the top of support cars in professional races, so that makes me think it must be okay?

You can make your own mind up. Those of us that have 591's and happily use them without issue, or those that haven't owned one, haven't seen a single report of crush damage, yet still tell you it will destroy your frame! :wink:
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Hoohaar wrote:
    Cheers guys, have opted for the Thule Outride 561 fork carrier. Quite a bit more that I was expecting to pay (nearly £90), hopefully will be worth it.

Sorry to drag this thread up but iv come accross it whilst googling Thule 561, on the Thule website it states this isn't suitable for carbon frames and you should only use the sprint XT on carbon frames but I don't know why, can anyone give me any advice on this?
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can't believe people clamp their frames without padding. I always put some soft cloth between the frame and the grip. No problems. Also not cracked a frame yet.
  • I think the new product has a torque limit, so it is less likely to do damage and more likely to have sufficient torque to hold the bike. Idiot proof apart from low bridges and indoor garages.
    IMG_5243_LI.jpg
    I would recommend a frameless fix at the rear though.
    http://www.auxtail.com