tora 289 u turn

stoksey25
stoksey25 Posts: 68
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi just received my new bile with these forks on . I know its a few years old but these forks as far as I can see have no lock out . Can this be fitted. Also on my old dart 3 s the preload stiffened it up but on these it just seems to make the forks shorter or longer . Is this right

Comments

• Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    why would you want to lock out a fork anyway? I never use mine even on the longest of climbs....
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    That's because they shouldn't have preload adjustment, but a U-turn adjust. U-turn is for setting fork travel. As for the lockout, a new damper assembly is probably needed.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Thanks . This may be a stupid question but why would you want to adjust the length instead of the preload
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    stoksey25 wrote:
    Thanks . This may be a stupid question but why would you want to adjust the length instead of the preload
    Some people like to drop them to increase the steepness of the head angle to aid climbing, then extend them for longer travel when descending but in reality it is something nobody needs, save for maybe 180-140mm or rare cases like bionicon/scott genius lt.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Or to simply set to their bike precisely. 85-130mm is a large adjustment window, from XC to AM. Also the spring rate increases as the travel is dropped.
  • What do you mean xc or am . I assume cross country and all mountain. But what is ment by this sorry if this is a raft question. And why would you want to soften the forks for this
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Firmer for fast smoother stuff, softer with more travel for bigger stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    stoksey25 wrote:
    What do you mean xc or am . I assume cross country and all mountain. But what is ment by this sorry if this is a raft question. And why would you want to soften the forks for this

You assume correct. Why would you want the spring to be the sanme for both travel settings? The percentage sag would be way different.
  • Where is the best place to get the different springs. What colour springs are standard and what is the rate of these as I have been out on mine for the first time today and it seems a bit soft.