Anybody work in design / art etc.

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Not sure what it's called really but need some help.

I regularly purchase clothing for my running club and have always supplied the only logo I have had to work with, and they always seem to work with it producing a sharp large logo on t-shirts / vests / hoodies etc. The file is small, it's 28kb :(

I'm in the process of ordering a sail banner for use at our races but my preferred vendor is saying it would be difficult to work with the supplied logo, asking if I have something better.."It might be a .AI file or a .EPS ot .PDF or even a high res .JPG".

How can I go about getting the small logo I have made into a better, larger file? It's a simple one colour logo by the way.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,365
    If the small logo is all you've got, then I think you'll have to draw a larger one from scratch - otherwise it'll look crap when you blow it up. If you've got access to Adobe Illustrator, then producing something in .ai format will be best, as it'll scale properly. If you don't have the software/skills yourself, or know someone who has, then try one of the high street repro places like Kall Kwik - they normally have a basic design service for logos and the like.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You'll need to redraw it, or pay for someone to do it.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Try www.copyartwork.com - they did 5 logos for us into ai (a graphic design package) for $45 and turned it round overnight.
  • How complex is the low res version you have?
  • How complex is the low res version you have?

It's pretty simple really (I think). Consists of a stick figure (running man) in the middle, with three words around the outside in a circle.
  • mroli wrote:
    Try http://www.copyartwork.com - they did 5 logos for us into ai (a graphic design package) for $45 and turned it round overnight.

OK, I'll email them and see what they say. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • I'm currently 'between jobs' so I'll have a crack at it for free if you want. If you're interested then let me know/email me the image you have.
  • kamiokande wrote:
    I'm currently 'between jobs' so I'll have a crack at it for free if you want. If you're interested then let me know/email me the image you have.

PM sent. That's very kind of you, thank you. If it's something you can do I'm happy to pay.
  • mitb
    mitb Posts: 78
    If it's as simple as it sounds you should be able to trace it in Illustrator or Inkscape which is free, and then save it as an .eps. Bob is your uncle. Well, things usually aren't that straightforward but very achievable I'd have thought. You've got kamiokande on the case so you should be sorted anyway but I quite enjoy little projects like this. I am clearly a massive dork.
  • Mitb, thank you for the offer, and thanks to everyone else that recommended places I could get it done.

Kamiokande stepped forward and offered to help...and within hours returned exactly what I needed, fantastic job. I've send the logo to the sail banner maker and I've had the proof back, it looks great.

Kamiokande, you said you wouldn't accept payment and was happy to help a fellow commuter, that's a really nice gesture. I appreciate your help, and there will be a small Wiggle voucher arriving in your inbox shortly.

Thanks guys, what a great bunch you are.

Mark