Canyon AM or XC?

MonkeyMusicMan
MonkeyMusicMan Posts: 4
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Long time lurker, first time poster etc.

It's possible that this post would be better in the Beginner's Section so please be gentle if that's the case!

I am 38 and have ridden a HT for the past 5 years (an entry-level Specialized). I am now looking to move to a full-suss and think that Canyon appears to offer the best value and, as I am a tight git, that is important!

I have used a couple of my friends' full-sussers and am convinced they are the way to go. However, not sure about the difference between AM and XC. I tend to ride in the Purbecks, nine-barrow down is about as extreme as I go but also go to Quatocks and on Isle of Wight. All of this has been done on the boneshaker. I don't do jumps etc.

Is the AM almost downhill-like? Can the XC do more than just cross-country? Which is the best 'all-rounder'? I'm veering towards the XC but wouldn't want to break it if I ever do anything 'harder'.

HELP!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would say XC is what you are looking for. I ride an XC full sus, am quite chunky, and it does fine around Surrey Hills and trips to Welsh trail centres.
    AM if you were doing big jumps and drops.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I would say XC is what you are looking for. I ride an XC full sus, am quite chunky, and it does fine around Surrey Hills and trips to Welsh trail centres.

+1
    The xc is plenty capable. Mate has the xc 8.0 and he gives it a hard time, copes brilliantly!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    +1, theres a few reviews in the bike & gear section of last years XC's, worth a read for you i would think, id say the AM is more of the same only with more travel, either way you wont be disappointed, and i'd swear my AM is actually lighter than my HT, though i could be wrong :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Superb. Thanks for taking the time to respond and confirming my suspicions. Looks like a Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 is the way to go!
  • Sorry to be a pain but just went on to Canyon's website and noticed that in their Outlet section they are selling a 2010 Nerve AM for £1099, which is £350 cheaper than the current AM entry level model. Is it out-of-date or a bit of a bargain? http://www.canyon.com/_uk/outlet/articl ... o=A1013846
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Sorry to be a pain but just went on to Canyon's website and noticed that in their Outlet section they are selling a 2010 Nerve AM for £1099, which is £350 cheaper than the current AM entry level model. Is it out-of-date or a bit of a bargain? http://www.canyon.com/_uk/outlet/articl ... o=A1013846

Very much a bargain.
  • chez_m356
    Sorry to be a pain but just went on to Canyon's website and noticed that in their Outlet section they are selling a 2010 Nerve AM for £1099, which is £350 cheaper than the current AM entry level model. Is it out-of-date or a bit of a bargain? http://www.canyon.com/_uk/outlet/articl ... o=A1013846
    obviously not the latest 10 speed kit, but a hell of a lot of bike for the money, good deal in my opinion :wink:
  • chez_m356
    there is a guy on here with something simiar
    BkM-SE wrote:
    Just came across this thread, and since I haven't seen any Canyons on the trails so far I'm quite surprised at the amount of people that have a Canyon over here now. Looking forward to see you guys on trail, I'll give you a silly thumbs up or something :mrgreen:

My 2010 Nerve AM...
    p4pb7408831.jpg

and a video of me riding it in Scotland...
    http://youtu.be/XZg1L_SqNSo

btw ... I'm considering a Flashzone to replace my somewhat tired Demo.
    Anyway .... I'll keep my eyes open for you guys :wink:
    looks ok to me :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Serious bargain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860

I would hit that.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I'm getting wet just looking at it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't find AM bikes much more hard work to ride than an XC bike. I have gone from a Giant Trance X (equivilent to Nerve XC) to a Giant Reign X (similar to Canyon Torque, much harder hitting than Nerve AM) and I don't find it takes too much effort to ride uphill compared to the Trance but a lot more fun riding down hills.
    The Nerve AM is more of a trail bike than an all mountain bike.
  • chez_m356
    I don't find AM bikes much more hard work to ride than an XC bike. I have gone from a Giant Trance X (equivilent to Nerve XC) to a Giant Reign X (similar to Canyon Torque, much harder hitting than Nerve AM) and I don't find it takes too much effort to ride uphill compared to the Trance but a lot more fun riding down hills.
    The Nerve AM is more of a trail bike than an all mountain bike.
    spoken like a true canyon owner... oh,hang on, your not are you :wink:
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Have they done away with the Mamba green colour now? I loved that colour!
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Rigga wrote:
    Have they done away with the Mamba green colour now? I loved that colour!

I know it is available on the 2012 AM7 and 8