Tempted by a CX over a Hard tail

Dr Avinuon
Dr Avinuon Posts: 26
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently have an old ridged steel framed bike with cantilever brakes and ride around the North Downs and was going to replace it with a 100mm hard tail, but I am tempted to go for a CX bike instead. My reasoning is that the only difference between my current bike and a CX is the drop bars and 34x32 low gear instead of my current low of 28x30. Is this a good idea or will it limit where I can go so much I will hardly ever go off road again.

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Get a hardtail with decent suspension, it makes riding off road so much more enjoyable. CX bikes are fine if you want to race CX (though why anyone would want to do that I genuinely have no idea), but would be horrible to ride all the time as your only bike.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Agreed, a CX is a half decent replacement for a road bike if you could only have one, but you'd be severely limited to the off roading you could do.

Best bet is to have all three. (and keep the old one) :)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    +2 for the hardtail..

you would have more fun on a hardtail,, and the hardtail would open up more options to you (for places to ride).
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    how about a rigid geared mountain bike? maybe a rigid 29er would get closer to the feel of a cross bike but you could retrofit a suspension fork if you didn't get on with it...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Thanks for the comments. it look like a cross bike was a silly idea as an only bike and I will go for the hard tail and see what I can make of the old bike. Yes both would be ideal but you always want one more than you have.
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    edhornby wrote:
    how about a rigid geared mountain bike? maybe a rigid 29er would get closer to the feel of a cross bike but you could retrofit a suspension fork if you didn't get on with it...
    Although if you do this maybe go for a carbon fork?
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Would it be possible to try a CX bike for a few rides? You never know, you may find you really enjoy it and that it suits your riding perfectly.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Psycho Cross just leaves me :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To disagree slightly, if you are 100% happy with your rigid, then there is no reason why you wouldn't be happy with a crosser, however if there are times you are slowing down or think, ooph that hurt when hitting bumps, then a short travel (100mm or even only 80mm) will help your arms/hands at least. Of course once you have an HT you may venture on slightly harsher trails now you can.

In our MTB club we have a number of people ride rigid (0ne only rides rigid) and when we opt for some slightly smoother trails we have 2 who bring crossers (that's when I wheel out my retro rigid).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have never had a bike with suspension so I am now going to get a hard tail. I just liked the look of the cross bike when I saw it as I liked the idea of something that may be good on the road as well. But as the old bike is worth very little I will keep it for now and put a rack on it and maybe some skinny tyres and use it for going places. The other reason is after the ride yesterday where I spent a lot of time sliding around I think now that a cross is a step too far towards a road bike. Also as you say there are often times when I have to slow because I cannot take the vibration through my hands (I even tried loosening my grip to let the bars move around. not a good idea). So I am set on a hard tail along with the retro ridged and maybe just keep an eye out for a second hand cross bike. N+1 as some say.