Cold feet - sock recommendations?

jonnyboy77
jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
I've done a few searches to try and narrow the list, but I'm not seeing any strong indicators so far ... I've suffered this last few weeks with cold feet while riding to work, made worse when I started extending my distance (and therefore time) this week.

I don't normally suffer with cold extremities, but my feet were numb this morning when I arrived at work :( I am riding in normal sports socks at the moment, which most of the year has been fine.

I had also wondered if overshoes help? I ride in MTB SPD shoes (Nike Kato) so was looking at the Endura MT500 overshoes.

My sock shortlist, based on searches so far:

Endura Baa Baa Merino Winter Socks
Defeet Woolie Boolie Socks
Polaris Merino Sox

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Jon
Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    edited February 2012
    Crikey. You've got lots of options. I get really, really cold feet (they're cold now, and I'm sat at my desk) and have come back from rides with ice in between my toes. That hurt.

Yes, overshoes help. I hated them, however, and they wore out.

I'd seriously look at winter boots (I use Specialized Defroster SPD boots, and love them).
    Other options are Merino sock liners -- I've got a pair of Icebreaker liners which I wear under normal workboot socks (thick-ish) and they last all week. The outer socks get changed daily, and were very cheap from a workwear shop I think.

If it's really cold, then from inner to outer, I go Icebreaker Merino liners, fluffy winter hiking socks, then Defroster boots.

I've got Sealskinz, but never found them much cop.

[Edit]: I don't know what your shoes are like, but if they're heavily vented (can't tell from Google pics) then that's likely to be your problem. Winter boots FTW!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Defeet Woolie Boolie 2s are excellent, fantastic in fact. They are so good they even work in the summer and you don't overheat.

Overshoes make a massive difference.

As do correctly fitted shoes as no circulation = cold feet. Try slackening your shoes a little.

Sealskins are rubbish for warmth, they are however really good if you get wet shoes on the way in to work and your shoes don't dry out. For that reason there is always a pair in my bag as I hate wet shoes......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Defeet Woolie Boolie Socks - Good
    Endura Baa Baa Merino Winter Socks - Better
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Prendas winter socks.
  • Asprilla wrote:

How do the Endura socks perform when the weather warms up? I like the idea of not having to be too selective with my sock selection at 6.30am :)

Thanks for the info folks ...

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I wear overshoes if its sub-zero or raining. Huge difference. Yes they wear out but only if you walk on them. I put them on just before I get on the bike and take them off as soon as I arrive.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    At the weekend (when really cold), I went for base layer socks, winter socks and overshoes. Toasty.
    For commuting, I can usually get away with just winter socks.
    exercise.png
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

How do the Endura socks perform when the weather warms up? I like the idea of not having to be too selective with my sock selection at 6.30am :)

Thanks for the info folks ...

Jon

Main reason I prefer the Baa Baas is that they are thinner material; better in the summer and fewer circulation worries when using different footwear.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Woolie Boolies for me. Superb all round sock, all year. Must have about half a dozen pairs.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Just popped into Evans at lunch and they only had Woolie Boolies so I'm going to test them first as a result! First impressions, before I even put them on, is that they are quite thick, but I am reserving judgement until I've ridden in them a bit.

Thanks

Jon
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Woolie Boolies and overshoes. Job done.

BTW, if you ride road shoes, tape up the under-shoe vents in cold weather. That makes a big difference too. Even more if it rains!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I also get really cold feet and the solution I came up with has been an oversize winter boot (NW farenheit / celcius), thermal undersocks, thermal sealskinz on top and my feet have been nice and toasty this year.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I've been using some seal-skins waterproof socks lately. They feel a bit weird to walk around in, but are fine on the bike. Just as warm as my defeet woolie boolies, plus waterproof (ish).

I can recommend them :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've been using summer socks all winter, but have used BBB overshoes.

Make sure your shoes aren't strapped up too tight; that can affect the circulation.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    i get cold feet and when v cold I wear:

icebreaker merino socks + sports socks + neoprene overshoes.

very toasty.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Get some Planet X Neoprene overshoes, they're only a tenner at the moment (I think) and because they're made of thick neoprene they really do keep your feet warm, if it rains they stay warm and dry too. Other than that any thermal socks made from wool should do the trick!
  • Icebreaker merino hiking socks in my Lake MX140 eVent boots. The boots are water/wind proof so feet have been toasty with those on and are still OK on less chilly days with regular socks.
  • Ride home in the woolie boolies last night was a cosy afffair, very happy with them so far. No ride today though as the car needed to be dropped off for it's MOT :(

Back on the bike tomorrow morning to see how they fair, although the temperatures have (of course!) started to rise.

I also paid attention to the suggestion of ensuring the shoes are not too tight, I do wonder if this was playing a part too.

Thanks all.

Jon
  • SO the socks have helped, and I've been checking my laces/straps to make sure I have decent enough circulation but I'm still finding on these cold mornings, that after about 5 miles I'm starting to get very cold toes, extending to the front half of my feet soon after.

I think the shoes are to blame, so for next winter I'm going to start looking at better footwear, but for now I've started to consider overshoes.

The Endura MTB MT-500 overshoes get some horrific reviews on CRC, so I looked further afield and found these at PX/OnOne:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLO ... _overshoes

Does anyone have any experience of these or recommendations for others? I really want something that will be durable enough for light MTB use, and that will allow me to walk ~100 yards from where I park my bike to my desk without falling apart after a month or so.

Thanks for all the valuable input so far!

Jon
  • jonnyboy77 wrote:
    SO the socks have helped, and I've been checking my laces/straps to make sure I have decent enough circulation but I'm still finding on these cold mornings, that after about 5 miles I'm starting to get very cold toes, extending to the front half of my feet soon after.

I think the shoes are to blame, so for next winter I'm going to start looking at better footwear, but for now I've started to consider overshoes.

The Endura MTB MT-500 overshoes get some horrific reviews on CRC, so I looked further afield and found these at PX/OnOne:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLO ... _overshoes

Does anyone have any experience of these or recommendations for others? I really want something that will be durable enough for light MTB use, and that will allow me to walk ~100 yards from where I park my bike to my desk without falling apart after a month or so.

Thanks for all the valuable input so far!

Jon

Rather than change your shoes, try Assos toe covers for chilly days and neoprene overshoes for cold days. Someone has already mentioned the Planet-X overshoes; if they still do them, they are well worth the money. V toasty (and the toes in my left foot suffer particularly badly, so that's a thumbs up from a genuine sufferer).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,370
    Pro Venturas - been very happy with them

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-ventura-multi-fit-overshoes/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    For me it has to be overshoes every time, although I am wearing proper road shoes with serious ventilation, which makes socks more or less irrelevant. I find that ordinary socks and overshoes are all I need down to well below freezing but YMMV.
    Definitely worth getting shoes that fit - I used to wear a pair of Shimano SPD shoes that were unbelievably narrow, especially for my H width feet: the bits of my feet that didn't see a drop of blood for the duration of the ride used to go really interesting colours, and the pain when circulation returned was astonishing.
  • I hadn't seen the £9.99 overshoes at PX, so I have ordered those and some SOS merino socks to get free delivery (I wanted some more socks anyway!).

I am starting to wonder if the shoes are too narrow, they are old Nike Kato's bought in about 2004 but they've worn extremely well, and although I'm doubting them now, they've never presented this issue before .. so I'm a bit confused, but all the same foot pain cannot be ignored! Hoping for some warmer weather, to see if I notice anything on the same route in a morning ...

Thanks again ...

Jon
  • What do you wear on your legs? I found keeping my legs warm makes a HUGE difference to keeping my toes warm (must be circulation & blood temperature related). Overshoes do help though. And long socks
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • What do you wear on your legs? I found keeping my legs warm makes a HUGE difference to keeping my toes warm (must be circulation & blood temperature related). Overshoes do help though. And long socks

I'm just wearing my shorts (baggies with lycra underneath) so it is possible that is having an impact, I don't mind my legs being cold (between the knee and ankle that is), I don't really notice it. More information to process!

Thanks
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Planet X are much better than Endura. No overshoe is going to last forever but they should be fine for the sort of use you are talking about.
  • jonnyboy77 wrote:
    I'm just wearing my shorts (baggies with lycra underneath) so it is possible that is having an impact, I don't mind my legs being cold (between the knee and ankle that is), I don't really notice it. More information to process!

There's your problem right there! Splash a small amount on some leg warmers to prove the principle but I wager it'll make a big difference.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Latest update...

Suspected extensor tendontitis.

So, no commuting on the bike for a few days, to get this sorted, then a closer look at footwear etc!

Jon
  • Woolly socks knitted by nan. I remember reading on a Finnish forum once that some people swear by silk stockings as a baselayer. Explain that in the office dressing room when you undo your suspenders...