Kudos to RockShox

benpinnick
benpinnick Posts: 4,148
edited February 2012 in MTB general
So I have finally given in and decided to try RS again (after a long time on Fox). I've gone for the Revelation RCT3. Not fitted them or tested yet, but my early observations look good....

1. RS provide you a seal and wiper kit in the box. Nice to see someone excepting that forks are forking expensive without needing to buy even more parts every year for a service.
2. They give you different colour stickers. Sounds silly I know, but since everything is monochrome now, its nice to see that they still accept red is faster.
3. These things are light, like stupidly light. I am wondering if they've left some parts out, or maybe the oil :)

I will update when on the bike and tested. I conjunction with my new CC DB Air, it will be a fox free ride for me for the first time in years!
A Flock of Birds
+ some other bikes.

Comments

• StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Just wait till you service the things, you'll be fully converted!
  • Bought the same forks last week. Free shock pump too was a nice bonus. Liked the different decal options for the lowers, might go with the blue to match the bfe.
  • nice fork

mind you, I have the two-years-old version, I'm biased.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    As good as rockshox are these days, I just can't say as I prefer them to Fox, my 32's feel much, much better then any set of revelations I've tried, I always feel like there's alot of stiction on rockshox forks, they don't feel as good over small bumps as the fox's and the control is much better too imo.

I don't really rate the dual air thing either, it's a bit of a faff to set-up, yes i know what i'm doing, but i wonder why both when the fox's are just a single spring and it takes little time them up to my liking. My revelations also imploded after just over a years use, they completely seized and felt shite for a good 3 months before this. No problems with the Fox's what so ever in the same time period. TF tuned also buggered them up when they went for service, the seals they used were faulty and ate the sag o-ring, which got lodged in the legs and required stripping down to get it out, not impressed by them at all and this is not the first time me or friends have had bad experiences with them, never had a problem with Mojo, brilliant service and very helpful.

It's very much like the sram/shimano thing, I have never sent a shimano product back (although their hubs are shite and I will never have a cup and cone hub again...) and numerous friends have had alot of problems with sram.

From now on I will use Fox whenever I replace forks or shock on a build, its just better stuff imo.
  • benpinnick
    Lawman, I was like you a die hard fox fan. Not saying I'm a convert yet by any stretch, but initial signs look good. Wait to see what happens on the trails I guess.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    benpinnick wrote:
    Lawman, I was like you a die hard fox fan. Not saying I'm a convert yet by any stretch, but initial signs look good. Wait to see what happens on the trails I guess.

I went the other way, from rockshox to fox, older fox forks i tried for average tbh, pre-2010 forks were about equal with my rev's, but the FIT damper and the kashima coat seem to make a big difference and I've yet to try the low-friction seals yet, which can only improve things further. The first time I actually liked Fox forks was when i tested some 36 rc2's on a lapierre spicy back in '09, but until I rode the 32 floats on a Whyte 146 at Bikeradar Live, i thought rockshox were more than a match were the 32's, but i was proven very wrong, imo at least.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    benpinnick wrote:

You were a die hard Fox fan, until the day you got some plastic hoops and stickers? Both Fox and RS weight pretty much bang on the same.

Go ride them, I'm intruiged! :)
  • benpinnick
    Lol. Maybe I have forgotten how light the floats are, but the Revs seem silly light. No I am not converted yet, just pleased that some companies still accept that once you pay several hundred pounds for their product, the last thing you want to do is spend another £25 on some plastic hoops.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • toasty
    Indeed :) I've ditched my old shock pump and been using a free RS one that I got with Rebas for ages now.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    RS all the way.....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Revs all the way. So much stiffer and smoother than Fox for someone of my stature. Easier servicing (LBS has trained techs), less servicing and better value all adds up to a great product in my view.

Mind you, my Marzocchis.........
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Revs all the way. So much stiffer and smoother than Fox for someone of my stature. Easier servicing (LBS has trained techs), less servicing and better value all adds up to a great product in my view.

Mind you, my Marzocchis.........
    I do like a nice set of 44 Ti's...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The new RS Revelation World Cup is astonishing - 3.28lbs for a 150mm travel fork!
  • benpinnick
    Yeah, I saw that but didn't want to invest that kind of cash (although still good value) until I have a tapered frame... so the RCT3 will do for now.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • i purchased the same forks a few weeks back, RCT3, and took them to llandegla last week for the first time and they were mega!

i had reba teams before them and i was more than happy with those

i bought my revs at a bargain price, so there was an even bigger smile at the end of the ride
  • toasty
    How did they compare to your Reba Teams just out of curiosity?
  • benpinnick
    Bargains alright (in theory - not yet ridden!), mine were £390, and not OEM.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Toasty wrote:
    How did they compare to your Reba Teams just out of curiosity?

they feel stiffer and i do appreciate the longer travel, in fairness though, i would have kept the rebas if i hadn't changed my frame which required a longer fork

the tunability of both forks are excellent :mrgreen: