Avid Juicy 3 Deadband

386ka
386ka Posts: 479
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I am experiencing big deadband on the rear Juicy 3 brake. Seems to me like as the pads wear, they don't self-adjust for it. I've tried resetting the pistons, but it didn't help. In some older manual Avid recommends "advancing the pads", basically pulling the lever without a rotor in the caliper and moving the pads till they are 1mm close. Then separating them with a spacer, and reinstalling the wheel. I don't have my bike ATM, so any other ideas on how to solve this problem?

PS, selling the brakes is a no-no. :)
A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Advance the pads as above as yo have tried everything else.

A good clean and lube of the pistons may help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Had this with my daughters J3, try elastic banding the lever to the bars overnight so the pads are against the disc for a while....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Advancing the pads normally works for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I came to the conclusion that Juicy 3s just don't self-adjust. Had endless problems with them and could never get them beyond a vague spongy feel even after full bleeds with a good initial bite. Advancing the pistons does adjust for worn pads, though still found it took a few attempts to get it right and would still feel vague.

The elastic banding the lever overnight does make some difference. It's not to do with the piston and pads I think but just shifts the fluid to the calliper and works as a sort of bleed I think. Usually found it needs a few pumps of the lever before riding and gets a good bite. Mid ride it would be back to spongy again.

Binned them, got X0s. World of difference. Think that's all down to the Elixir technology. These definitely self adjust, they're far easier to change pads, pad spring clip doesn't catch the disc, and they aren't spongy (for Avid, they're not OTB hard like Formula).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What you need to happen is for the pistons to not retract too far, hence leaving them out for longer with an elastic band, Nick has also previously suggested this can work better if you use the lever adjust to wind the lever out first.

Bleeding, as with most issues, will never cure this and is a total waste of time and effort and fluid.

J3's working properly are far from spongey, if anything they are too sharp, guess all your bleeding left air in!

Spring clip is the shitiest design known to man though!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I am not having any issues other than this (yet), but they are decent stoppers. They are not too spongy, but I love the squishy feel they give. So, I have no real reason to be in the Juicy haters club.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010