Cheap mountain bike under £150 for 18 stone chap.

trainofthought
trainofthought Posts: 6
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello there im just looking for some advice on buying a new mountain bike. I'm about 18stone and i need a bike to help get rid of some weight. I am only going to be using it to go to work which is about 30min ride away and is just roads only so no hills etc. Basically im worried will a bike hold my weight, i have come across this bike in halfords called (Trax TXC.1 Mens Mountain Bike 2011 - 19" ) and was wondering would this be ok for me? like i say i am blooming useless at this sort of tinhg and would really appreciate some advice thanks in advance:).

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Avoid Trax like the plague, are bloody awful machines. You'll spend more time fixing it than riding it.

If you can stretch to £200 you get a substantially better quality of bike.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I wouldn't worry about your weight in terms of bike choice; I started Mountain Biking again at 24 stone and it's helped me get down to nearly 18 (and still dropping). I spent some more than you plan to on a Trek 4500 and it has served me really well (there are better spec bikes out there for the money, I now know, but my local bike shop was the only place I went looking and they gave me great advice).

Second hand could be an option, if you have someone who could come with you and have a look.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    if your just using it for commuting and not doing any gnarly stuff then yeah it would be fine... Although I would spend just a tad more to save repairs....

Something like this definitely wouldn't be a bad start if you could stretch....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75071
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter works at Halfords in bikehut, her recommendation is never buy less than the apollo brand, which is just about OK, the trax are aweful.

For your usage, don't get something with any suspension, it's just taking budget from the bits you need like better wheels etc.

You'll get a much much better bike used, if you can get a Carrera Subway they are tough as old boots and would suite want you want perfectly, typically you can get them for £100-150 used off ebay/gumtree.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    If you have one nearby, have you thought of one of these:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-51 ... 67116.html

It comes in on your budget and has had some good reviews.

And as others say, dont worry too much about your weight as bikes take take a hell of a lot. I was riding a road bike at 21 stone without problems.
  • Wow i have to say thank you to all of you, the info you guys have given is really helpfull and open my eyes alot, so i wont get the trek bike as a few of you said there dodgy. I'm going to check all of your suggestions out and i'll keep you informed on my choice also keep posting as these tips are great. :) Thank you.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Wow i have to say thank you to all of you, the info you guys have given is really helpfull and open my eyes alot, so i wont get the trek bike as a few of you said there dodgy. I'm going to check all of your suggestions out and i'll keep you informed on my choice also keep posting as these tips are great. :) Thank you.

Trax are dodgy, Trek aren't.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing wrong with Trek - it's Trax you need to avoid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's what you get for opening too many pages.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi guys just wondering your thought on this-http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-50-men-id_8160220.html# its only £99 and looks pretty solid, just wondering anyone familier with it?
  • The Rookie
    Its OK value, but as I tried to emphasise earlier, you'll get a much much better value bike by buying used, the quality of components will be better and it will last longer and ride better, so at the risk of repeating myself, look for a decent used Carrera Subway, it is just about perfect for what you want.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it's just for the ride to work on the road, a cheap commuter would be better would it not? And yeah second hand would certainly get you better value. You'd be better off with more commute style road tyres at least.

If you get a mountain bike for that money cheap and later try to take it properly off road, it may rattle apart. I know from experience. It did however encourage me to upgrade and then get more serious into MTB. Now it's become an addiction.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Its OK value, but as I tried to emphasise earlier, you'll get a much much better value bike by buying used, the quality of components will be better and it will last longer and ride better, so at the risk of repeating myself, look for a decent used Carrera Subway, it is just about perfect for what you want.

Simon
    maybe not the best option for someone who obviously doesn't really know about bikes, plus the lack of warranty/shop support if things go wrong
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Never used to be a problem back in the dark ages when I was a lad. Most people I knew bought second hand and just learnt to fix the bike. They're not that difficult to deal with the majority of what goes wrong.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    deadkenny wrote:
    Never used to be a problem back in the dark ages when I was a lad. Most people I knew bought second hand and just learnt to fix the bike. They're not that difficult to deal with the majority of what goes wrong.
    this is very true, but you have to take into account that the op thought that a Trax was a bike, and parts aren't 1/6d anymore :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    True, but get a trax and he'll be in and out getting it fixed once a month anyway, long term as long as he gets what looks like a sound clean bike, I guarentee that within 3 months he'd have a net saving, budget for a service at an LBS (Local Bike Shop) straight after buying though.

Simon
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the bike and the knowledge of the rider. I pick up 2nd hand bikes all the time, and usually have to completely overhaul them ie full strip down to the bones, service and clean.
  • Hi guys i have ordered the rockrider 5.0 as its £100, also its got good reviews. I don't have enough experience in getting a second hand bike as i don't know enough. As stated by supersonic you normally have to do work on them so i bought a new one, its perfect for what I need and its steel too so a bit stronger. I just want to say thanks to everyone for helping me i really do appreciate it :) ill let you know how i get on fingers crossed it will be good..
  • redstar1
    redstar1 Posts: 15
    How did you get on with the Rockrider? I need to lay my hands on a dirt cheap bike for a 25 mile a day commute pretty sharpish and was looking at this one. Few roads and mostly towpath so shouldn't take a beating. Can only afford this sort of money right now but quite frankly I could buy a new one every month and still save money! So plan is to spend as little as possible in the expectation of shipping 5-600 quid on a proper commute bike in a few months.

Been looking at the second hand markets but theres not much. It's either the Rockrider 5.0 or one of the Halfords Trax for now. Rockrider looks like the one to go for (in full expectation that you get what you pay for).
  • I've got the Rockrider 5.2 and 5.0 (as a spare bike in case anyone wants to come on a ride with me or if I go out with the wife).

The 5.0 is a decent reliable bike and I haven't had any problems at all with it. Well, apart fom on a long journey the saddle was uncomfortable but I have changed that.

It will be fine for a 25 mile commute on the kind of terrain you are talking of.

Having said that, I find that my 5.2 is a much, much better bike and if you have the extra money I would stretch to that.
  • redstar1
    It will be fine for a 25 mile commute on the kind of terrain you are talking of.

Having said that, I find that my 5.2 is a much, much better bike and if you have the extra money I would stretch to that.

I thought the saddle looked a bit... sharp!

At the minute I don't really have the extra money. Office is moving to a different town, hence the urgent need for a commuting bike. Am getting 3 months worth of mileage for the commute as compensation for the office move which will work out about £400+, all of which is going towards a better bike. So if I get 3/4 months out of it I'm happy. Thanks for the comments.
  • Hey there sorry i didnt get back earlier iv'e not logged in for abit. I have had it for about 2 weeks now and i have to say that im very impressed with it. Its solid and has brakes and gears are of a higher priced bike. The saddle is uncomfortable but my brother had an old bike that had a spare seat which is much softer. Other than that i would highly recommend getting one so glad i did its brill and such a smooth ride. I don't think there is anything better for the price. All the best..
  • redstar1
    Cheers. Meant to go get one last weekend but didn't get round to it. Off in the morning to pick one up and cycle it home. Will be looking at a replacement saddle too!

Thanks again.