SPD cleat life?

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I'm not sure if I've worn away the SPD cleat in my right shoe or if something else is incorrect?

My symptoms are that when the right foot is clipped in and I'm pedalling at high cadence, I can feel my foot moving forwards and backwards a few millimetres and also hear the cleat rattle inside the pedal. I've checked the tension on both sides of both pedals and they have all been zeroed out and then re-dialled in to "+4" not that this should make a difference. It's worth noting that I've never come unclipped whilst pedalling.

I've only done around 2000 miles with them on in around 10 months of commuting. I do usually un-clip the right foot so I guess it is more prone to wear as it's constantly clipping in and out and on the ground more than the left? I also have to walk around 60 metres on concrete in them per day too.

Would the above sound feasible to have simply worn out?
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Are you talking about the metal Shimano SPD cleats - they seem to last ages. You could swap the cleats over on your shoes (or try the other shoes somehow in the same troublesome pedal) and see if it happens with both cleats?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Could it have always been that way and you hadn't noticed?

Perhaps some shoe+cleat combinations have slightly more play. My M520 double-sided pedals, which are older, move more noticeably than my single-sided A520 with the same shoes. I suspect the design means all Shimano SPDs will have a little fore-and-aft movement (I don't know about other brands).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My double sided M540s have an annoying movement / click on one side of one pedal. Tension is set the same on all 4, and I have tried swapping the cleats on the shoes but the click remains on the left hand pedal.

The cleats themselves appear to be lasting indefinitely.
  • I think I'm going to need to do some swapping around to find out what the issue is then.

Cheers guys!
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    10 years so far and over 3000 miles on new road bike.
    Have 4 spare sets that came with pedals and still use the old set.
    It stops the knee tweak when foot is clipped as it floats more.
    Why not change up to a higher gear and slow down peddaling, it sounds like the pedals are getting away from your feet and you are struggling to catch up.
  • It's certainly an issue that has only just come about. I've not changed my cycling habits lately, but I have noticed this forward/backward loose clicking noise as my foot slips that little bit while clipped in at high cadence.

I don't want to change my cadence as it's quite efficient for me to pedal this way at times. I looked further into it and I took off my shoe and clipped in on both sides of the pedal - I can't replicate the problem by hand and there is zero play?

I guess i'll see how it develops or try a set of SL's :mrgreen: