Rigid 29er, worth it/ what forks?

maddmatt
maddmatt Posts: 166
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Any advice you could throw my way would be ideal.
Problem 1: Wondering whether to swap my suspension forks for a set of rigids. Ride in the South Downs area/North East and a few trail centres. I also rarely get more that 60 out of 80mm of travel and run them fairly hard as I like to pretend I'm a fast XC racer. Usually only ride once a week on the 29er too so. Just like to get some feedback of what people think.
Problem 2: If I do go rigid what forks? Spotted these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYLIX-MTB-Rigid-Carbon-Fork-Straight-XC-CycloCross-29er-510g-/290669102015?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ad3a83bf#ht_2420wt_1460 Too cheap to be good? Would like carbon for as cheap as possible as I'm a poor student.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Exotic do good carbon forks- not the lightest but sturdy. Very pleased with mine. Swapping forks is so quick that if you can afford both those and the suspension forks, you can almost have 2 bikes for the price of one. I wouldn't have a rigid mtb as my only bike but I really like it as a choice- lots of fun, and a good difficulty-multiplier on many trails.

Tempted to try the Hylixes though, if only because the Exotics look terrible fitted to my C456 :mrgreen:
    Uncompromising extremist