Heroes Sportive - Near Peterborough 9/4/2012

Hi everyone,

In August this year myself and five friends are cycling 1350 miles in 15 days from Rome to Home in an attempt to raise £12,000 for Help for Heroes and the Motor Neurone Disease Association. As part of the fund raising we are holding a cyclo sportive on Bank Holiday Monday 9th April 2012 which starts and finishes in Thurlby, Lincs (about 10 miles north of Peterborough). There are three lengths of ride. The longer of the three rides takes you into Rutland where the flat open fields give way to some unexpected climbs. At 17%, although not over a great distance, Laund Abbey will be a test for some so early in the year's Sportive calendar! The shorter rides remain mainly on the flat and are designed to be challenging yet enjoyable to those of you who are new to Sportive riding, or wish to introduce younger riders to the joys of mass participation cycling.

Long Ride—80 miles
Medium Ride—30 miles
Short Fun Ride—10 miles

All profits to be split equally between Help for Heroes and MNDA. Absolutely no private gain will be made. All participants will be entered into a free prize draw. 1st—£50, 2nd—£35, 3rd—£15 of vouchers for Terry Wright Cycles, Market Deeping who are kindly supporting the event. Visit http://www.rometohome2012.com to enter online — just follow the links. This event is currently restricted to 200 people, but if uptake is good this may be increased.

Supported by: Terry Wright Cycles, and Tescos.

Facilities:
Changing rooms, toilets, and parking. Allocated tea, coffee, and snacks will also be available for all participants. A complimentary feed station (80 mile ride only). Allocated sports nutrition products (80 mile route only) All routes will be clearly marked (with stewards at key junctions) to ensure you keep on the right track. GPS maps will be emailed to all participants.

Heroes Sportive (80m): £15 (£20 on the day entry*)
Mini Heroes Sportive (30m) £7.50 (£10 on the day entry*)
Family Sportive (10m) £5 each (Children go free with a paying adult)

*Limited entry on the day subject to online allocation not being met.

Comments

• Is this anything to do with the Heroes sportive that is being held the week before from Marholm, near Peterborough? http://www.peterborough5x5challenge.org but this one is £10 to enter?
  • Hi Chipperleenie,

In answer to your question, the Heroes Sportive is nothing to do with the 5*5 event. I have to say I was not aware of this event when I scheduled mine despite looking through various media to avoid potential clashes. However, I do not see an issue arrising, as us cyclists are rather nuts, and for just a little over the cost of a normal club run cafe stop, you can get to enjoy two well organised events a week apart!

Also, I would add having read the 5*5 website it seems a different style of event to the one I am running due to the length of their routes, and the absence of a midway feedstation, which I feel is reflected in their entry price.
  • Stu

thanks for that, if the other one does not have a feedstation then that makes it more of a reliability ride and not a sportive.
  • Bucks_Stu
    Bucks_Stu Posts: 16
    Good evening,

The 80 mile route has now been tested, and it was a lovely run!! Great scenery, and plenty of challenges. The figures according to my Garmin came in at 83 miles, and 900 metres of climbing.

Regards.