My new Argon 18 Gallium Pro 2012 with DA Di2

quango2k
quango2k Posts: 42
edited March 2012 in Your road bikes
Hi Guys,

well my frame arrived from http://www.bikeleasingcompany.com today.

got it all built up..tell me what you think :)

Gallium pro 2012 in medium
Full dura ace Di2, compact chain set and 11/23 cassette
DA 7900 c50 clinchers
Veloflex Corsa 22 tyres
3T Ergonova team bars, stem in 100mm and seat post (changing this all to Zipp or Pro parts though)
fizik team garmin edition (changing this to something black soon)
lizard skin DSP tape
speedplay titanium pedals
nokon brake cables (awesome!)
weight...6.71kg (with the c24s on)

6816315673_97b7cce35f_b.jpg
6816316203_10834349d5_b.jpg
6816316909_c3b22b5147_b.jpg
6816317411_8ce97e54b3_b.jpg
6816318035_69fcfc6ba1_b.jpg
6816319075_906eb4ff49_b.jpg
6816319633_0d5001fbf2_b.jpg
6816330061_464b3d93ab_b.jpg
6816330817_f2f0e37193_b.jpg
6816331597_405f551cfe_b.jpg
6816332177_d2055e6d6e_b.jpg
6816333181_1cb0e7777d_b.jpg
6816333651_3ecc71dc81_b.jpg
6816332653_6de6a3a64a_b.jpg
6816334127_0af73cf226_b.jpg
6816334655_06aa8aa559_b.jpg
6816336539_986cf00fa9_b.jpg
6816337075_9f0979400f_b.jpg
6816337585_620bf3b996_b.jpg

Comments

• Best.Bike.Ever.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    bargain.
  • Yeah, that would be filed under 'Things That Are Mint'
    Nice one mate! :D
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    That needs the new black 3T stuff on it.

This is suspiciously like an advert too ;)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    NapoleonD wrote:

It is an advert. Cheeky really, but it's a better advert than the usual ones.

Nice bike.
  • That's horrible. To save yourself any embarassment I'll take it off your hands for nothing and hide it away for you... :p
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    nice looking bike - but the backdrop looks very familiar. I'm sure I've seen another bike posted on here in the same garden.....
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    JoeNobody wrote:
    That's horrible. To save yourself any embarassment I'll take it off your hands for nothing and hide it away for you... :p

You wont be able to if he's hooked into some expensive payment plan :)

Unless its 0%, which it might be, cos you can get 0% so many places nowadays, might have even bought it outright from them.

If it is an advert, itd be cool now to admit it and explain how the payments might work out cheaper financially-wise than taking out a cheap loan and paying that back? If that's the case?... it would be handy transparent information for those who do wish to buy a bike and have/wish to borrow to do so.

Nice bike, advert or not.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Don't think it's an advert, just someone proud of his nice new bike...................

http://twitter.com/quango2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTHYdrfDiw&context=C3dc6502ADOEgsToPDskL2O8vdDuFXIIW6hTMRKodT

Either way, at least he rides it.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Don't think it's an advert, just someone proud of his nice new bike...................

http://twitter.com/quango2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTHYdrfDiw&context=C3dc6502ADOEgsToPDskL2O8vdDuFXIIW6hTMRKodT

Either way, at least he rides it.

I am scared you managed to find his Twitter feed! Are you a sneaky beaky or something? :shock:
  • defo not an advert :) I just think its a good idea for people who can't afford to buy a top spec bike outright. you actually get the frame set at near cost (or full bike if you choose). just got talking to Paul on Skype and set it all up from there.

I paid a £360 deposit and then its 41 per month for 2 years..41 a month I can afford...£2k for a frameset I definitely cannot. so at the end of the 2 years I just give it back, no more payments and no closing fee...then I'll just get something new :)

the garden probably does look familiar if you go on pink bike, or any other forum as I've posted loads of bikes in the past..I used to be a downhiller until I broke my hip. I have posted orange 223's, loads of scotts, focus cross country bikes, felt and focus road bikes now the gallium.

back on topic though..the 3t stuff is going, well its almost all gone as my zipp vukasprint bars came today and I have spent the best part of the evening fitting them...what a bugger to do! the holes in the bars look like you can fit Di2 plugs through.....you cannot!!! so I had to do some cutting and soldering to get it all in but its done now..just hope I get on with them after all the work getting them on otherwise I will need to buy a new top wire kit :P

I would have gone for black 3t stuff but the bars and seat post won't be out for some time and I couldn't wait..I'm impatient :P. one thing I will say about the zipps..they are not as stiff as some people make out, compared to the 3t's they are soft!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    That needs the new black 3T stuff on it.

well, I did order all of the new black stuff, I got the stem (after wiggle sent me the original red one in 100mm, instead of the black 110mm one I ordered!) and I also ordered the bars and post..but my order just said "due mid" and didn't say which month..so I contacted wiggle who then changed it to 2-7 days which i found suspicious..so I mailed i-ride ( the uk distributors) who said they have not even been given a date!!

at that point I cancelled the orders..I'm not going to wait an indefinite amount of time for them to arrive. Now I have decided on Zipp kit. I got the vukasprint bars today, the Sl speed stem is due tomorrow and the seat post in a couple of weeks...if I don't like it I will end up with the black 3t stuff when its available sometime this century :)
  • a pic with the black wheel decals, new saddle and black 3t stem..will get some new ones in the next few days with the zipp bits :)

6857821005_e64516a1e8_z.jpg
  • quango2k wrote:
    a pic with the black wheel decals, new saddle and black 3t stem..will get some new ones in the next few days with the zipp bits :)

Seriously now, it's just getting worse. Just tell me where you live and I'll swing by and relieve of the bike to save any further shame... ;)

Joking aside, if I understand correctly you're leasing the frameset but bought the other components yourself? Did you get a quote for the same spec but the full bike? If so, how much more would it have been?
  • really nice looking bike. i just got one of them K-edge chain catchers for my bike i love the simple idea to protect your frame, and it dont look out of place on even this high value bike.
  • JoeNobody wrote:
    Seriously now, it's just getting worse. Just tell me where you live and I'll swing by and relieve of the bike to save any further shame... ;)

Joking aside, if I understand correctly you're leasing the frameset but bought the other components yourself? Did you get a quote for the same spec but the full bike? If so, how much more would it have been?

haha :P

yup, just the frameset, i already had everything else..got 2 sets of di2 cheap from a friend in Taiwan (soooooo much cheaper over there!) I did have a cayo 2011 which all of these parts were on but instead of renewing the cycletowork and getting a new mid range bike I went for this instead.

ive no idea on the total cost of this build if you went for it all new..but you can get a quote from them easy enough if you wanted something similar. one thing is for certain..after the two years are up I will be getting something new...probably with disk brakes ;)
  • napoleond
    Definitely an advert then!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • kind of...indirectly at best :)

I could have just said that I got a new frameset..but this is a good way to spread info incase other people are concidering doing the same..its not common knowledge you can lease bikes..i didnt know until I see the advert on road.cc

saves people asking where i bought it from :P
  • napoleond
    How much are you paying for your frame?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • its in the post on page 1..
  • napoleond
    quango2k wrote:
    its in the post on page 1..

Roger, missed that post as there were 2 in a row...

Interesting... 400 quid cheaper overall than buying (1800 quid from Slane) but you don't get to keep...

An 'interest free on new purchase' credit card would be a good bet if you are wanting to pay monthly too, and you get to keep it/sell it...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • quango2k wrote:
    ive no idea on the total cost of this build if you went for it all new..but you can get a quote from them easy enough if you wanted something similar. one thing is for certain..after the two years are up I will be getting something new...probably with disk brakes ;)
    Thanks, was just curious really. I don't ride my current bike enough to justify an upgrade right now, but will likely check these guys out when I can justify it.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    quango2k wrote:
    its in the post on page 1..

Roger, missed that post as there were 2 in a row...

Interesting... 400 quid cheaper overall than buying (1800 quid from Slane) but you don't get to keep...

An 'interest free on new purchase' credit card would be a good bet if you are wanting to pay monthly too, and you get to keep it/sell it...

I went through all the options..

1: I could pay a fee at the end and keep it if i wished
    2: after two years the frameset will be done..i ride a lot of miles so the resale value will be low for me and after two years I will want something new.

also with a card purchase I dont get the support from bikeleasing..eg, cost price parts etc etc.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    quango2k wrote:
    i ride a lot of miles

out of interest - how many is 'a lot'..??
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Lovely bike, and credit to you for buying it on your terms. Nice idea actually. Makes sense ref the two year window.

Saw this on WW and loved it on there. Reckon its a stunning bike myself. Enjoy ! :D
  • in the winter, about 150 miles per week, in the summer, double that. every sat and sunday is a 40 to 90 mile ride, then commuting to work 30 miles a day monday to thurs (weather permitting) then in the summers we go out 2 or three times in the afternoons for a 40-50 mile ride. obviously we don't do that all the time but we put a lot in :)
  • hi where did you get that awesome carbon stay protector? thanks
  • awesome bike - congrats.
    I have an e114 which is unreal stiff and fast and want a new road bike and was researching the Gallium when I fell on this.
    I'm 99% ready to pull the trigger and the leasing scheme would seem to suit me (I could afford to buy - but will probably be looking at changing in a few years and like the idea of keeping the cash for a poss rainy day)
    can I ask some questions?

1)would they advise you on frame size / handlebars / stem length etc. - (I had a lot of help and advice when choosing and setting up the e114 - I am a relative newcomer to cycling and struggle even changing a wheel)

2)You mentioned the frame was 2k - do they seem as though they might haggle - eg, I can see the frameset in a few places for £1,799 and ultegra di2 and under £1500

3)I can see all the pro's which you have outlined - any possible cons? (glass half empty man) - been sus I would ask how they make their money?

4)Do they do di2 as well (just thinking about handing the bike back and stripping all the parts off at the end of lease - better to buy most stuff from them, then less hastle at the end of agreement??)
  • That is one sweet ass Argon. I love those bikes, and that is one of the nicest builds yet! Great job on that bike. I bet it rides like a dream.

-X