Car Degreaser on chain?

richardjiles
richardjiles Posts: 137
edited February 2012 in MTB general
So I noticed that car degreaser is cheaper than white spirit, do you think it will work/ do you use it instead?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use Gunk. Sparingly, and only to clean up old chains that have had random lubes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Gunk and Jizer are both great degreasers but I'd either take the chain off or remove the wheel to save degreasing the bearings and freehub. Any degreaser is fine on a chain because it's all metal.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Autoglym engine cleaner is good tried it on a cassette the other day and it shifted the crud with a bit of work with a toothbruch. Its a bit pricey I paid £7.99 for a 1 liter trigger squirty bottle but it smells a whole lot better than white spirit, Gunk or Jizer which might be important if you have to store your bike indoors.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • i used Surfex HD on my chain last weekend after running out of muc-off chain cleaner. to be honest worked the same if not better.

Surfex is a water based degreaser from Bilt Hamber, i bought a litre for about 7 quid but its concentrate so you can cut it with water upto 20:1 i think.

pretty good stuff i must say, and cheaper than bike specific stuff.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Fairy liquid in a sink of warm water works fine as well. Strong mix for dirty chains and rinse well and lube immediately after.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    stubs wrote:
    Autoglym engine cleaner is good tried it on a cassette the other day and it shifted the crud with a bit of work with a toothbruch. Its a bit pricey I paid £7.99 for a 1 liter trigger squirty bottle but it smells a whole lot better than white spirit, Gunk or Jizer which might be important if you have to store your bike indoors.

this

Autoglym and chain cleaning device works wonders for me
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Paraffin's cheap but also very reusable- a 4 litre bottle'll last you, well, I don't know how long. Years, maybe decades. Basically you just keep it, let it settle, and then pour off the clean fluid and ditch the dirt.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Northwind wrote:
    Paraffin's cheap but also very reusable- a 4 litre bottle'll last you, well, I don't know how long. Years, maybe decades. Basically you just keep it, let it settle, and then pour off the clean fluid and ditch the dirt.
    I would never mention stereotype.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I use paraffin too, in a plastic takeaway box, you then just poor off the 'fin back in to the bottle and throw the crud away.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    milfredo wrote:
    Fairy liquid in a sink of warm water works fine as well. Strong mix for dirty chains and rinse well and lube immediately after.
    and the problem with that is unless you have suitable filtering processes before the sewer you are close to (if not) breaking the law.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Doesn't washing up liquid contain bleach and salt also?
    nicklouse wrote:
    and the problem with that is unless you have suitable filtering processes before the sewer you are close to (if not) breaking the law.

I'm not entirely convinced that chain dirt/lube mixed with a lot of soapy water could meet the definition of sec 111 of the Water Industry Act 1991.

but then doing 29mph in a 30 zone is close to breaking the law ;)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Bleach no, salt yes.

If that's the most law you ever end up breaking you've done better than most.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    White spirit in a plastic tray.
    Never buy the stuff for bike cleaning though.
    Save it after washing out paint brushes used on gloss paint then let it settle and drain off from the solids.
    Wash down parts in water after a soaking of Muc Off.
    Muc Off on its own, shite.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • A planty
    A planty Posts: 47
    edited February 2012
    I've been using jizer and was recently told to be careful of getting on my tyres as it will rot them and the tubes ???? and also avoid the calipers is this true or just a load of b/s ??
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Neal_ wrote:
    Jizer

That made me lol
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Briggo wrote:
    Neal_ wrote:
    Jizer

That made me lol

And so it should ;) Imagine how sore it would be to fill this!

JIZER25.jpg