FAO DIY or light fundies. Light with mind of it's own.

cooldad
cooldad Posts: 32,599
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just got a 2nd Ultrafire 502B XML-T6. 3 brightness modes plus 2 flashing.
Came with 2 batteries (blue Ultrafire 2400 mAh). With one it stays on high for a short while, then drops to medium power. Cycles through the modes fine until it gets back to high, then drops to medium after about 10 seconds.
With the other battery it drops to low in a second or two, and only manages one flashing mode.
Got it from China.

My original one came from a UK seller, with one battery (red though) and works fine. I can't test combinations of old and new as it's being used by my son.

As the new torch seems to have all of it's modes, I can only assume it's the batteries causing the problems.

Is this possible?

I'm not terribly fussed as the new one was free, but am confused.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sounds like battery. I have a 2 year old lithium battery pack that wont handle high power for more than about 30 secs before it automatically drops the light onto a low get you home setting but will happily work for 2 hours on the medium setting and an unknown length of time on flash.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    Torches with brains. Hard keeping up with technology. Sometimes I feel so old.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    It looks like it's the batteries. Works fine with a 'real' one in. Looking closely seems as if the batteries are fake - they don't have Ultrafire etched on the negative terminal, which the real one has.
    Seems as if the Chinese are now pirating cheap Chinese products as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    What happens when the Chinese start pirating the pirates which were pirated from the original rip off. Probably end up with a match and a candle.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap